Vista HnS after Vista SP1

Give this build of GRLDR a shot, please.

note to self:
Code:
mandriva 2.6.24.4-desktop586-lmnb
gcc 4.2.3
bd55199cbe5f0d29d397e9aca60d099b

Attachments

• grldr.zip
    99.5 KB · Views: 4
CG - grldr from post #82 (properties = created june 22, 9:47:02, 188,204bytes) returned Cmain error.

My CPU is Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600. Per Dell, my core hardware supports x64, and intel 64 architecture is included in the CPU.

Two more builds. If neither of these works, I'll have to go about this some other way.

Please test grldr_gcc34 first, and if that fails then check grldr_buildscript...

If only I could HnS's bizarre behavior on your machine so I wouldn't have to keep bugging you with new builds............................

Attachments

• grldr_gcc34.zip
    99.5 KB · Views: 1
  • grldr.build_script.zip
    99.6 KB · Views: 1
Well, just when you were at the last build, it worked! Well done CG!
Grldr_buildscript allows Vista HnS to work with no problem, booted into Vista and XP and drives are hidden from XP. Does this give you some idea of what was happening?

Saphire

No, it doesn't give me just an idea - it's solved the whole problem :smile:

I've been trying different ideas with each build (except those that gave you error 15s) until now, and i'd plumb run out of ideas (believe me, it's not easy to find 20 different ideas for one tiny bit of code in one day).

I'll just wrap it up in a new HnS build and we're set! :grinning: :smile:

Thank you so much for all your help, Saphire!

Do you think the cmain() was unrelated to my IDE/SATA mix CG, and just an accidental clash with a Grub4dos update ?
Though that wouldn't explain why I was the only victim at the time.
There doesn't appear to be much similarity between my system and Saphire's, so will your Eureka moment today have solved my problem too do you think ?
If so I'll try and give it a whirl when you post it (making sure that no defrag is anywhere near the system at the time)

I do believe it has solved your problem as well.

The issue has to do with how I was compiling HnS's bootloader. After trawling through the various bits of source code it seems that there are apparently two different ways of doing it, and I was using the default mode that's "less compatible." With grldr_buildscript that Saphire tested above, I attempted to use a different method and it seems to have addressed the problems that were resulting in non-standard behavior for my modified builds of GRLDR.

Great news.
I've still been directing people this way as a fix for their Vista/XP problems and crossing my fingers that they didn't sue me for becoming embroiled in the frantic exchange between you and Saph.

BTW Saph, thank you from me too.
I've felt a bit guilty over the past week or so, watching you rebuild your bootloader 3 or 4 times a day helping CG figure this out; especially since I was the first to experience the bug, and should have been the one testing the putative fixes.
Once you'd got going though, it would probably have caused even more confusion if CG had had to deal with 2 of us at once, feeding back data. (that's my excuse anyway - poor as it is)

lol - don't worry about it, Terry, I know how it is.

At any rate, hopefully this has taken care of your problem too :smile:

You're welcome to both of you. Glad I could help. And thanks for putting up with my little...er..snafus as well.

Um... one other quick question - I still have to copy the boot.ini from G to C after running HnS before I reboot as HnS copies it to G and then turns the boot.ini in C to an HnS file. Is this something that can be fixed or a seperate thing. If so, I'll start new post for it.

Last edited:
Back