Vista keeps freezing

Bee

:huh:So here I am once again needing help.

After finally getting my laptop to work again (with your help and the recovery disk) I've got another problem.:rage:

At first vista worked okay, but then it had some updates. At first I didn't allow it to update because I was afraid something would happen again. Seems I was right:huh:.

Ever since it has been updated it would freeze. And I haven't installed anything, so that's not the problem. Anyway, I held the shut off button until it would go out because it wouldn't do anything at all. Then I went into safe mode (I'm in safe mode right now too) and did system recovery. It was before the update.

The problem seemed to be solved until it froze again, and again etc...

I've used system recovery several times already, but it just doesn't help. Some times it won't freeze for hours and I'm thankful for that, but then when i get it out of sleep mode it freezes again +sobs+

Anyway the blue screen appeared, but it disappears so fast i can't read it all. Before this happens my laptop starts making a noise. "trrrt trrrttrrrt" like crickets? Something like that.

Only thing i can remember from the blue screen is
fout: STOP 0x0000000F4 something like that>.<. And it said the computer was shutting itself down to protect windows from damage.

I'm almost sure I'll be seeing it again in the next 30 minutes. I'll try and remember more.

I hope you guys can help me.:wtf:

edit: This is what Windows says.
problem.jpg

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi bee, welcome back

There's ovbiously a bad update that keeps installing itself via automatic updates. Go into your WU settings and change it so it notifys you and doesn't install any updates until you tell it to... at least until you can get down to the bottom of which update is causing the problems. You'll be able to manually select the updates you want installed this way. Once you've identified it, just hide it and it shouldn't appear or try to install again and you should be safe to re-enable automatic updates.

Hi Bee.

There are suggestions on this site that lead me to believe that your issue might be hardware related...either memory or possibly your video card. :wink:

Stop Code 0x0000000F4 - Tech Support Guy Forums

-Coolname007

P.S. I will continue to look for possible solutions to your problem with Google, and so hopefully I will have something more soon...:smile:

EDIT: Aha...found something more. :smile:
STOP Error Blue Screen - 0x0000000F4 - Windows XP Support

The Stop Error report for this error is less helpful than most:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms797140.aspx

You may get an answer by running the Windows Debugger on the memory dump
but it is a challenging task for a typical user:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...g/default.mspx

Another way to investigate your hard drive is to use HD Tune.

Try HD Tune only gives information and does not fix any
problems.

Download and run it and see what it turns up. You want HD Tune
(freeware) version 2.55 not HD Tune Pro (not Freeware) version 3.00.
http://www.hdtune.com/

Select the Info tabs and place the cursor on the drive under Drive
letter and then double click the two page icon ( copy to Clipboard )
and copy into a further message.

Select the Health tab and then double click the two page icon ( copy to
Clipboard ) and copy into a further message. Make sure you do a full
surface scan with HD Tune.

You could maybe try downloading the Windows Debugger and/or HD Tune, and see if it finds the source of your problem...I will continue to look, and keep you posted.

Last edited:
Oh, thank you guys!

I'll stop the updates and check out the site^^

edit: -_-' I can't stop the updates in safe mode. *deep sigh*

well I'll try doing it after getting some sleep.

Thank you for the help so far:smile:

Last edited:
Here's something else...straight from the MS website. :brows:

Connecting a hard disk drive in slave only mode leads to system halt during resume from standby

Symptoms:

A computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP or a later operating system stops responding during resume from standby, and you receive the following KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR stop error message:0x0000007a (e163a3e4,c000000e,bf8e9313,0697f860)

or

0x000000F4 (0x00000003, Parameter2, Parameter3, Parameter4)

Note Parameter2, Parameter3, and Parameter4 in the stop error may vary.

This problem occurs on a computer in which Windows XP or a later operating system is installed on a hard disk that is configured as a subordinate and no other device is connected to the same IDE controller channel (primary or secondary).
Cause:

This behavior may occur when you use Windows XP or a later operating system with some motherboards. Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available.
Resolution:

To resolve this behavior, use one of the following methods:
  • For Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment (PATA) hard disks, configure your disk drive as master only. For Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) hard disks, connect the hard disk cable to a master channel SATA connector on the motherboard.
  • Connect another device as a master, such as another disk drive or a CD drive or DVD drive.
  • Change your PATA cables, your SATA cable, or your IDE cable even if the cable does not appear worn.
  • Install Windows on a new hard disk because it is possible that your hard disk or your Windows installation may be corrupted.
Let me know if this helps. :smile:

-Coolname007

Do system restore to get the system working again and than in normal mode disable automatic updates.

He said he already tried system restore, Justin...see the below quote.
I've used system recovery several times already, but it just doesn't help. Some times it won't freeze for hours and I'm thankful for that, but then when i get it out of sleep mode it freezes again +sobs+

-Coolname007

It doesn't fix the problem because automatic updates kick in and re-creates it. However from the description, the problem is temporarily reversible using system restore so it doesn't BSOD and the system can be booted normally.

He said he already tried system restore, Justin...see the below quote.

-Coolname007

Hey, I did, but I never switched the automatic updates off.

Anyway I did that now after I used System recovery (Again xD)

let's hope it stays unfrozen for a while.

I'll try downloading HDtune^^ hope it finds my problem!

I'm scanning it right now. That thing looks scary though....like a heart monitor:|

Addendum:

I'm in safe mode, and it's done scanning. It only has one Red block, but I have no idea what, or where is damaged:angry:
HDTune_Error_Scan_Hitachi_HTS541680.png

Coolname007
That resolution you got from the MS site...:S
What?

I'm stupid and don't understand a thing what's been said in there. Could you explain to me what I"m supposed to do?:shame:

Last edited:
On the back of IDE HDDs are a set of pins and a jumper connector across 2 of them.
Following the diagram next to the pins, the jumper can be positioned to define the HDD as "master" (drive 0) or "slave" (drive 1) or "cable select" (0 or 1 depending on which IDE cable connector you use)
The citation from Cool concerns a situation where you remove drive 0 and leave another HDD still jumpered as "slave". It would seem to cause some confusion to the OS boot not having a drive 0.
The quick solution is to move the jumper so that the remaining disk gains "master" status.

(a similar problem can occur if you remove a HDD from the "end" connector, leaving one on the "middle" when you're using cable select or master/slave)

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but English is not "really" my first language and I really don't get a thing of what you just said.

Um, what are IDE HDDs?

If only I had some brains -_-"

Edit: I found what they are^^, but I still don't get what i should do.

Last edited:
You don't have to do anything unless you have a single hard disk which is connected as slave instead of master, or connected by an IDE cable using the middle (grey) connector instead of the end (black) one.
The only way to check is to open the case and look.
If you haven't removed a disk drive, it's not likely to be your problem, unless the master hard disk has completely failed (so that it appears not to be there).
Again, I don't think that's likely because disk 0 is normally where you'd have the OS and the boot files.
Check in your BIOS. If you are booting from disk 0, this won't be your problem.

Ok...since we know for sure that your hard drive has at least one bad block on it, you could try using Vista's Check Disk utility to locate and fix any errors it finds. :smile:

To use the GUI method:

In "Computer", right click on the drive, select "Properties", select the Tools tab, and click on the Check Now button. Check both of the available options and click Start button. If you are checking your boot disk, you will be asked if you want to start CheckDisk when the system reboots. Click the Yes button and reboot your computer.

To use the command line instead:

Open up the Command Prompt by going to Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt, and then run the following command:

Code:
CHKDSK/F/R C:
That is of course assuming the bad block is on the C drive...:wink: If you know it is a different drive letter, then just put that in instead.

Let me know if it fixes the problem. :smile:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Oh,i see.

Well i went into my bios and I don't think anything was wrong there. :angry:

Anyway,the computer told me it couldn't start and i did start up repair.
After finding a hardware problem, it solved it itself.

My laptop is working again and hasn't froze (yet).:scared:

I hope the problem is solved now.

Sorry for making you look up other solutions when it could be easily solved like this.:joy:
Thank you for all the help!

Bee.

Go ahead an re-enable automatic updates now, just to verify it really isn't any updates causing the problem. If it persists, than go through each update one at a time like described in post 2.

Ok...since we know for sure that your hard drive has at least one bad block on it, you could try using Vista's Check Disk utility to locate and fix any errors it finds. :smile:

To use the GUI method:

In "Computer", right click on the drive, select "Properties", select the Tools tab, and click on the Check Now button. Check both of the available options and click Start button. If you are checking your boot disk, you will be asked if you want to start CheckDisk when the system reboots. Click the Yes button and reboot your computer.

To use the command line instead:

Open up the Command Prompt by going to Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt, and then run the following command:

Code:
CHKDSK/F/R C:
That is of course assuming the bad block is on the C drive...:wink: If you know it is a different drive letter, then just put that in instead.

Let me know if it fixes the problem. :smile:

-Coolname007

It froze again a day after my last post, so i did what you wrote ^ above.

The following things came up:

*Windows replaced a bad cluster in file 8140 of name \Windows\INSTAL~1\cafe9f2.msp.
**Adding 2 bad clusters to the Bad clusters file.
***Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap and Windows has made corrections to the file system. there was 8 kb in bad sectors.

Now it's working again, but I won't get my hopes up too much to see it's still freezing tomorrow. But I REALLYYYYYY hope the problem is fixed now.

kairozamorro

I did that too^^, thanks for reminding me.

Thank you for the help ones again^^

*gives cookies*

Bee.

:shame:It's not even been a month and I'm back again...
(i think i just miss you guys:joy:smile:

After getting rid of 4-5 viruses i didn't know I had, my laptop worked pretty okay again.
But as usual if hates me and gave me the bluescreen again
(that was this week). It worked fine after that, but today (well yesterday seeing it's already past midnight) It froze again and it froze again like 5 minutes ago. Oh and I got the blue screen shortly after i restarted it and logged in.

I'm in safe mode right now.

I still makes that cricket noise before it freezes so I always see, well hear when it's coming unfortunately. I wonder what i did that it hate me so much:huh:

So anyone an idea what's (still) wrong with it?

Bee >.<

Back