Vista login problem after automated repair

Blokeyfella

Hello
I rather stupidly unplugged my laptop whilst it was shutting down and it wouldn't load windows properly afterwards. It got in but would get hung opening applications and gave a couple of blue screens.
I used safe mode with networking to investigate and followed advice to purchase a copy of the Windows Vista Recovery Disc. I rebooted my lappy with the disc in and ran the automated repair function.
It said it worked and so I rebooted and it's come up with an 'other user' option only for windows login. As things were before I made the mistake, I only needed the password to login and I have since forgotten what the username actually is. Hence I cannot login. I have tried all combinations I can think of and still no joy. System restore only gave options to restore to a point after I originally unplugged.
Is there anything you can suggest to help please? I have vital photos and work on my laptop else I'd just restore factory settings. I'd really appreciate any help you can provide.
Thank you
Dave

Boot with the recovery disc and go to the command prompt/terminal. Navigate to your Windows partition's Users folder with cd and use ls or dir to see the usernames of the accounts on your system.

Back