Votes: 2 16.7%
  • RedHat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ametur_poet

Distinguished Member
The title says it all which distro of Linux/BSD is your favorite?

[By the way, just to those who don't already know, Mac is actually just a version of BSD.]

Last edited:
Mac is actually just a version of Unix. :tongueout: Which they all are technically. So you query should be your favorite version of *Nix. Plus technically you cant include OS X cause it doesnt fall under the Linux GPL license nor does it use teh Linux/BSD kernel. Which is what is at the source. :wink:

I would say that with my limited experience Ubuntu. I have tried PCLOS and didnt like it at all.

Well, I tried about half of that list, and I think my favorites are Ubuntu and Sabayon, Mandriva (before Mandrake, I have Mandrake 9.0 working cd :tongueout:).

Debian but I never made to install graphic interface :/

Koppix is ugly :??.

Freespire is very nice done. It misses some things I need, but still, what it has it works decent.

Fendora, last fendora I tried was 5.0 and since then I didn't try any new version.

eh, well there's a limit of 10 options per poll anyway....

/me goes to change that.

Addendum:

OK, I updated the poll to include Fedora and RedHat.

Addendum:

One of the biggest reasons I love Fedora so much is how nice and clean it looks.
It's professional without being overly-graphic... See:

Logon+Screen.png

More pics here: Fedora 8

Last edited:
Great now i have another Distro to try. Thanks Mahmound now i have to setup another partition. :tongueout:

Okay now here is my question. What is the difference. Looking at their site i see Fedora, KDE Fedorea and GNOME Fedora. I am guessing that Fedora is rpm package based, Gnome is like Ubuntu and deb package based and KDE is like PCLOS. So which package to go with? So lost and confused...:tongueout:

Well i am used to Gnome cause of Ubuntu. But i am grabbing both the Fedora and Gnome versions. I will use the LiveCD to see how i like it then i will use part of the 98GB i ahve free and make a spot for the distro and install it.

Knowing me and the limited Linux experience i have. It will probably be the Gnome version since i already have experience there and know what to do with it. But i wont put down the regualr version since i have heard many great things about that one as well.

I don't know, I've been using both, and I got used to both, thats why they are the same in my eyes. Both are pretty nice to work with, in my opinion. I'm sure at least one will suit your needs perfectly. :smile:

I have gotten Open SUSE and it seems alright. I igh go back and give that another shot now that i have worked with Linux a bit more.

I never used Open SUSE, also I'd like to try "Slackware" or something like that? I didn't try that one neither.

Even though in theory Mac OS X isn't a "distribution", it is based on a rich UNIX core with full command line access, combined with a beautiful, fluid user interface, and it's also one of the more widely spread UNIXes today, so I'm voting for OS X.

Back