Where is GRUB situated?

leoszt

Hi there,

I have a doubt about my partioned disc, i ve took a pic of the disc management so i can show.

I have vista installed in the 85gb partition and ubuntu in the 56gb one. The 6,94GB part is a recovery utility from hp.

What I would like to know is, if i can delete this highlighted 2gb partition who is not NTFS and do not apear on Ubuntu managers also, so I can use it as backup partition for important documents.

Or would it be really stupid, being it used as container for GRUB? I'm a bit confused since all of them are "Primary Partitions" and i think GRUB is in the mbr part (thus in the begining of the disc, not in its middle)

Won't do anything stupid before asking the pros, please give me an advise.

BTW, how can I shrink ubuntu partition? Does ubuntu have an built in utility just as Vista?

thanx for the attention

PS: my system language is Portuguese, any doubt just ask.

Hi leoszt.
I think the 2 GB partition is your swap partition that Ubuntu uses for hibernation and other purposes, so you probably don't want to get rid of it. :wink: You can shrink your Ubuntu partition using Gparted on the LiveCD, located at System>Administration>Partition Editor while booted from it.

Cheers,

Jake

Last edited:
Likely its a utility partition from HP, but if you want to use it, right-click on it and format. It doesn't appear to be the partition the computer is booted from. Personally I don't see any use in it as 2gb will run out quite quickly depending on the amount of files you're backing up. I would recommend getting a cheap external usb drive (100gb or so for starters) to use for this purpose. It won't do you any good if your main hard drive fails and your only backups were also located on there.

Edit: or that. Cool's probably right about it being swap.

i want to use for my college stuff (txt only), since vista will eventualy fail some day (it did already).

unfortunately external drives (and the whole lot of computer stuff) is not cheap on Brazil, since we pay 40% or more of federal tax for imported goods.

So every GB is worth for me.

Last edited:
sorry to reanimate this thread but, there is no such thing as gparted in the installation cd.

any other way?

Yes, there is. :smile: You will find it at System>Administration>Partition Editor while booted into a Live session.

Cheers,

Jake

Last edited:
Lol, you're gonna slap me, but there's no such thing also.

I think I will have to download something.

Addendum:

downloading gparted through synaptic anyway..

thanx a lot =]

Last edited:
Unless the package has been installed it won't show in the menu. No doubt its included on the CD, but it may not be installed and ready to use out of the box. Had to manually install it before I could use on my last Ubuntu installation. With GParted live disc though it should be installed even in the live disc session.

of course i booted from the CD, just like as I did for installing ubuntu, and there was no option for gparted, or any leads to it.

Anyway, it is installed, but i have to install a bunch of packages so it can resize ext3 file system partitions, or it won't able shrinking, which is being a pain in the ass....

Unless the package has been installed it won't show in the menu. No doubt its included on the CD, but it may not be installed and ready to use out of the box. Had to manually install it before I could use on my last Ubuntu installation. With GParted live disc though it should be installed even in the live disc session.

Well, yeah...that's what I meant. :wink: Its installed in the live disc session, and included on the disk, but it doesn't get installed *on your computer* automatically when you install Ubuntu...if you want it in there, you would have to install it later (though personally i believe it is better to use Gparted from the CD, and not from within an OS...but again, that's just me).

Addendum:

of course i booted from the CD, just like as I did for installing ubuntu, and there was no option for gparted, or any leads to it.

Anyway, it is installed, but i have to install a bunch of packages so it can resize ext3 file system partitions, or it won't able shrinking, which is being a pain in the ass....

Did you navigate to the "System" menu at the top, while in the live session, and then click on "Administration" to view that sub-menu, and look to see if you see "Partition Editor"? :wink: That is what I meant when I said "System>Administration>Partition Editor"...

Last edited:
Would love to do it, considering I'm been capable of shrinking the ubuntu partiton (probably due to missing librarys), but i can't find it on live cd, there is no such option

Addendum:

Well, yeah...that's what I meant. :wink: Its installed in the live disc session, and included on the disk, but it doesn't get installed *on your computer* automatically when you install Ubuntu...if you want it in there, you would have to install it later (though personally i believe it is better to use Gparted from the CD, and not from within an OS...but again, that's just me).

Addendum:

Did you navigate to the "System" menu at the top, while in the live session, and then click on "Administration" to view that sub-menu, and look to see if you see "Partition Editor"? :wink: That is what I meant when I said "System>Administration>Partition Editor"...

yes i did, it wasnt there also, only when i installed it through synaptic.

it is already installing and running, but it wont resize due to missing libraries.

Last edited:
What missing libraries? You need to be more specific...:wink:
You should be able to install whatever dependencies that are not installed by either using Synaptic or using "sudo apt-get install <name of package>" in the Terminal.

the strange is.. that I have installed all of then, but the shrink options are still disabled
for ext2/3/4 gparted requires e2fsprogs

the strange is.. that I have installed all of then, but the shrink options are still disabled
for ext2/3/4 gparted requires e2fsprogs

It could be it doesn't allow resizing of the partition that contains the OS you are booted into...:wink: If that is the case, then you may need to try it from the CD.

Jake

Last edited:
i am downloading gparted's livecd iso cuz ubuntu's live cd has no gparted on it (at least not the one i have)

Yeah, that will most likely be your best option at this point. :smile: Its strange that your LiveCD doesn't already include Gparted though...where did you download the ISO from?

Back