Which Easy Recovery Essentials product would help me?

JCN9801

Me: Windows 10 Pro upgraded (from 7) HP Pavilion dv7t-6100 CTO laptop (April 28, 2016)
Dual boot 7 and 10 (EasyBCD)
My issue: When I try to upgrade Roxio Creator from NXT 2 Pro to NXT 4 everything works UNTIL the first attempted reboot after the upgrade. I then get the error message: INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE.
I can still boot to Windows 7
I just downloaded the Windows Media ISO and created a boot USB stick but I am not sure that will be enough for the next time..
Roxio Forum suggested this is a driver issue but I am 100% updated with DriverMax.
A month ago got the same result using a full Roxio install DVD (vs the Roxio upgrade).
I simply re-image back to my previous good Windows 10 (ShadowProtect) and here I am (again!)
BTW I have not installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Any suggestions? Home version or Professional of ERE be any help?

Thanks
JCN

Hello JCN,

EasyRE home or pro should both do the trick; it sounds like Roxio's boot-time driver is causing a kernel panic (why a CD burning program has a ring0 driver is beyond me - I don't advise using their software any more!). If the auto repair does not work the integrated registry snapshot restore should.

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try in the next few days, probably just getting the Pro version to add to my tool kit. I sort of figured it had something to do with Roxio Secure Burn as the old version of that program hangs the NXT4 upgrade. I just renamed that sub-folder and then the upgrade went to completion. But Roxio does not allow the option of omitting Secure Burn from their installation. Believe me I would dump Roxio completely except for one single program of theirs that I use. I could cobble together another somewhat equivalent solution from VLC pieces but I just have not had the time to explore this option. Last time I checked on Amazon I think it was around 80%+ ONE STAR reviews for Roxio Creator - blows my mind thinking of the folks that work there: what is their day-to-day motivation! I will let you know. Thanks again!

I liked Roxio before they were bought out by Symantec, in particular, Roxio GoBack 3 was a decade+ ahead of its time.

Bummer. I thought Roxio was bought by Corel... maybe Corel was bought by Symantec! Gobble, gobble.
Assembling tools for another attempt with Roxio upgrade. Got the EasyRE Pro and burned to a stick with Rufus.

Question: Can I "burn" an ISO boot image (e.g., EasyRE) to a small 8GB partition on my hard drive (#0) and set up EasyBCD to include that "system" as a boot option?
My HP Pavilion laptop will boot off of USB stick but it is a BIOS tweak each time in and each time out including unplugging the backup image USB HD (otherwise it will try booting to that!)... More a pain than anything else.

Thanks
---JCN

I think I answered my own question (above). I tried using EasyBCD 2.3 option to set up "boot to ISO" file ("Run from disk").. I tried three of them: (1) Shadow_Protect_RE.iso (2) Windows_10_Media.iso and (3) EasyRE_Professional_for_Windows_10.iso (It did not like blanks in the file names). The first two bombed completely on start-up and returned to the EasyBCD menu. The last one just hanged the system and I had to power off/on the restart. So I guess I am stuck toughing it out with USB stick reboots when I next tackle the Roxio NXT 4 installations.
Regard,
---JCN

EasyBCD has two different modes for booting from ISO; I cannot recall off the top of my head, but one of the two (boot from memory, boot from disk) will (should?) work with EasyRE, while the other won't.

EasyBCD has two different modes for booting from ISO; I cannot recall off the top of my head, but one of the two (boot from memory, boot from disk) will (should?) work with EasyRE, while the other won't.

Thanks for the reply but I ran into a whole other problem with EasyRE. I cannot even get it to work from the USB burned ISO in the first place. Even using their own burning utility. I just get a blank screen - and more PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA errors trying to get back to my normal Windows 10 boot. Eventually I do but I have a support ticket submitted on this one.
Regards,
---JCN

Back