win7+win10 = 0xc0000428

eurowing

hello,

i am hoping to find some help here.

i have been using EasyBCD for a while now with my two windows 7 disks to have the option to choose which OS to boot into. it has been working very well!

recently, i added another disk. i installed windows 10 on it with all other hard disks disconnected. i thought once i reconnect the other drives, boot from my main windows 7 disk, and add the windows 10 drive to EasyBCD, i would be good to go. windows 7 still boots fine. but trying to boot into windows 10, i get an error message with status 0xc0000428. having read up on the issue in this forum i found that apparently you can not boot into a newer version of windows.

there are suggestions to replace certain boot (?) files on the win 7 (primary) boot disk but that sounds like a delicate operation to me.

my question is if i can do the following without breaking anything: if i make the windows 10 disk my primary boot drive and install EasyBCD there, and then add the other two windows 7 there, will that work? or am i corrupting anything on the windows 7 boot disk?

i would undo the EasyBCD boot menu in windows 7 and get everything back to default and then go with the above option without worrying about it. Problem is, for some reason when i 'turn off' the boot menu in EasyBCD the boot menu still comes up. something must be messed up there...

any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks,

Denis

"if i make the windows 10 disk my primary boot drive and install EasyBCD there, and then add the other two windows 7 there, will that work? "
Yes

Hello
I set up win7 and win10 from scratch on separate HDDs. My main drive and OS (specified in BIOS) to start from is the one with Win7.
Accordingly I set up EasyBCD in Win7 environment. With Win7 as the first and Win10 as second OS.
No problem afterwards to start Win7 with EasyBCD. But no way to start Win10 due to error 0xc0000428 and info "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file".
What helped was the hint in
and to deactivate the integrity check.
Regards

Sorry, but not the correct approach.
It leaves you using an older (possibly missing new security code) version of the boot manager to boot systems it was never designed for.
The correct approach is to switch to using the newer boot manager, which is fully backward compatible with older OSs
As in the OP, either switch your boot priority to boot from the newest OS and add entries to its BCD for older OSs, or if you have a compelling reason to boot from the older OSs volume (It's on a faster device e.g.), then you can simply replace the older version of bootmgr with a copy from the newest OS's drive.
Overriding the signature check might side step you around the problem, but you have no idea (and nor do I) what new code in the newer version is not being executed and what the possible implications are.
Check the sizes. With each new OS from Vista -> W10 bootmgr has got bigger and bigger, some extra code is being added with every new release.
Presumably it's not there without purpose.

Back