Window 7 Recovery Essentials

miketosh

Following your guide: Recovering the Windows Bootloader from the DVD - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki and have made it through Option #1 (3 times) in the windows recovery essentials and my HP Windows 7 machine still will not boot. It makes it up until Starting Windows then immediately gets the "blue screen of death". Unfortunately, I tried to progress to Option #2 and I can't proceed as the Keyboard doesn't appear to work (mouse works). Help! The problem started when I installed the new version of Norton Utilities and did a defrag on the registry. When the system re-booted it would it made it to Starting Windows then immediately got the "blue screen of death"...

If you get as far as the animated "starting" screen then the boot isn't broken. The problem lies deeper.
Have you used F8 for the extended boot menu, then "last known good configuration" ?
If that doesn't work, F8 > Safe Mode > System Restore back to before you installed the new software.

Thanks Terry,
I have tried the "last known good configuration" with the same results. I have also tried the safe mode, however, when I select Safe Mode it just loads the core drivers and I get the same results... Am I missing something as the only option I get from the F8 are:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt
Safe Mode w/ Networking

I don't seem to have the option to F8 > Safe Mode > System Restore back to before you installed the new software option

If you can't get the safe mode boot to complete, then you can't go into system restore. It's not a boot option.
It is however an option on your W7 DVD or on the Neosmart recovery disc.

Back