Windows 10 fail to boot with 0xc0000001 messeage

dagi12

Introduction

Hello, I'm running multiboot installation on machine with UEFI. I have Windows 10 and Ubuntu installed managed by Grub at startup and I have laptop working like this for about half a year. By the time... I'm using Windows 10 very rarely I rather use linux for my everyday work. But yesterday I need to, and very disturbing BSOD appeared.

Recovery
Your PC couldn't start properly
A required device isn't connected or can't be acessed
Error code 0xc0000001

I cannot log into safe mode. System just hangs at the boot screen and shutdown laptop itself after couple of minutes.

• I haven't made any hardware changes ever.
  • I haven't made any driver changes.
  • I do not mess up with any Windows directory but I have Windows partition mounted in Ubuntu.
  • I do not mess up with EFI partition recently.
  • Last time I have using Windows installation is about 2 weeks ago.
  • System sometimes instead of showing BSOD is hanging at the boot screen.

I have googling for fixes fo hours. So I made USB with my Windows 10 installation (exactly the same from which I have Windows installed) and run Windows Recovery Envoirnemt. My laptop is hp 8560w.

Fixes and failures

Restore default settings in firmware setting (aka BIOS) - nothing changes

Windows Recovery Environment

System restore

I got message. "To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows Installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an Operating System and then select System Restore."

Automatic repair

Fails - with no information in event log.

Reset your pc

I got message. "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

Windows Command Prompt
S: is my EFI partition

chkdsk c: /f /v /r /b /offlinescanandfix
no problems found

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=*s:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
I got message "there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart windows and run sfc again"

Bootrec /fixmbr - nothing changes
Bootrec /fixboot - nothing changes
Bootrec /scanos - windows found
Bootrec /rebuildbcd - message "The requested system device cannot be found."

del s:\* /s /q
bcdboot c:\windows /s s: /f UEFI

nothing changes

I even format EFI partition and make it again.

Diagnose

bcdedit /store s:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

20160422_131828.jpg

Summary

Ubuntu still works fine so AFAIK it's not hard drive or GPT issue.

I can't login to recovery mode by Shift + F8 but I had never could. So I don't think it matters especially that fixing by Windows Recovery Mode from USB work neither.

It seems to be ridicolous for me that Microsoft provide not even detail but in fact any useful information about why system fail to boot.

Pleas do not tell me to contact hp support because I really doubt that they help me.

Back