Windows 10 Releases Tomorrow - Here's A Brief History Of Windows, From 1 to 10

I tried yesterday and today. (I have to boot 8.1 specially just to find out)
Just get the "we'll let you know when" message via WUD.
My W7 isn't eligible, not that I'd allow that to be downgraded anyway, but booting 8.1 last night screwed with my W7 boot again despite having had fast start disabled for years.
Took about 30 minutes to get past chkdsk scanning every bl**dy one of my >5Tb's of HDD this morning.

Addendum
just as I posted the above, got my "you've got mail" tune (Clapton - Layla - first bar), to find Gabe Aul just sent me a note to tell me my "valued insider" status entitles me to get it now.
I'll try again after I shut down W7.

Last edited:
Posting from 8.1.
Despite the email, it's still
"We'll let you know..."
Guess UK is going to be a few days behind.

It was saying that for me too until I used the tool. I managed to download the ISO files too so may use that to upgrade if all else fails.

Succeeded. What was blocking the installation were some Win8 - specific programmes & possibly my A/V even though I deactivated it, so I uninstalled that.

Writing this from W10
WUD has still been doing "failed" attempts when I left 8.1 running overnight (80240020) but a little delving around revealed that I've had the $Windows.~BT hidden download file on the system all week.
I can understand MS saying "wait, we've got a huge queue waiting to download", but I completely fail to see why they said "wait, you've got it all, but we're still not going to let you start the upgrade yet"
Turns out a simple "EnableOSUpgrade" key inserted in the registry was all that was needed, and the previously downloaded 4Gb file switched on and changed 8.1 into 10 in next to no time.
Don't understand the thinking behind that at all !

I just deleted that same folder I found in my test Win 10 rig....had to take ownership first. I don't understand why WU wouldn't trigger that upgrade itself.

Back