Windows 10 Rollback Utility Problem

ChrisW69

When I try to boot to the disc I burned from the ISO image I downloaded, it says:
"An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system.
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart."
Isn't the disc supposed to be bootable and contain an operating system? Please advise.

Thank you,
Chris

No it doesn't contain any operating system, it isn't allowed by copyright. It merely contains the ability to give some advanced options in the case of disaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @ChrisW69,

It sounds like your might not be booting correctly from the downloaded image. There are a couple of different reasons this could happen.

A few different things to check:

1. Is the CD or USB burned right? When you insert it into another PC, you should be able to see a few files and folders on the CD/USB when you open it in My Computer. What are these files?
  2. If you're creating a CD, did you use the right medium? You probably should have burned this onto a CD-R (instead of DVD-R). If that doesn't work, try using a DVD-R instead.
  3. Is the laptop or PC configured to boot from the CD or USB? This is typically done by pressing a key when you first turn your PC on to select the boot device, or else entering the BIOS and configuring it from there.
Also, on newer computers and laptops (especially those running Windows 8 or Windows 10), there are two settings that are sometimes enforced by the manufacturer that can prevent you from booting from a recovery CD/USB. These only affect UEFI/EFI computers; and you'll need to both make sure that Secure Boot is disabled and that Legacy Boot is enabled. We have guides on doing both, please refer to our knowledgebase articles on disabling Secure Boot and enabling Legacy Boot to set up your system to boot from recovery media.

Please read the links carefully and check the points above, and let me know how it goes.

My PC is set to boot from the CD correctly, and it boots from the Windows 10 installation DVD with no problem whatsoever. I can see the files on the disc I burned from the ISO image I downloaded from your website as follows:

03/25/2016 06:40 PM <DIR> boot
03/25/2016 06:40 PM 3,414,344 bootstrap.ufs.gz
03/25/2016 06:40 PM 191,465,984 easyre.ufs.uzip
03/25/2016 06:40 PM 82 launchcode
3 File(s) 194,880,410 bytes
1 Dir(s) 0 bytes free

I can access your disc just fine. Is there some way I can just launch it manually? If so, please advise. Thanks!

I replied to your reply on August 9, but I never received any response. Since I did not receive any reply, I will try posting it again. My reply was as follows:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My PC is set to boot from the CD correctly, and it boots from the Windows 10 installation DVD with no problem whatsoever. I can see the files on the disc I burned from the ISO image I downloaded from your website as follows:

03/25/2016 06:40 PM <DIR> boot
03/25/2016 06:40 PM 3,414,344 bootstrap.ufs.gz
03/25/2016 06:40 PM 191,465,984 easyre.ufs.uzip
03/25/2016 06:40 PM 82 launchcode
3 File(s) 194,880,410 bytes
1 Dir(s) 0 bytes free

I can access your disc just fine. Is there some way I can just launch it manually? If so, please advise. Thanks!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi @ChrisW69,

It sounds like your might not be booting correctly from the downloaded image. There are a couple of different reasons this could happen.

A few different things to check:

1. Is the CD or USB burned right? When you insert it into another PC, you should be able to see a few files and folders on the CD/USB when you open it in My Computer. What are these files?
  2. If you're creating a CD, did you use the right medium? You probably should have burned this onto a CD-R (instead of DVD-R). If that doesn't work, try using a DVD-R instead.
  3. Is the laptop or PC configured to boot from the CD or USB? This is typically done by pressing a key when you first turn your PC on to select the boot device, or else entering the BIOS and configuring it from there.
Also, on newer computers and laptops (especially those running Windows 8 or Windows 10), there are two settings that are sometimes enforced by the manufacturer that can prevent you from booting from a recovery CD/USB. These only affect UEFI/EFI computers; and you'll need to both make sure that Secure Boot is disabled and that Legacy Boot is enabled. We have guides on doing both, please refer to our knowledgebase articles on disabling Secure Boot and enabling Legacy Boot to set up your system to boot from recovery media.

Please read the links carefully and check the points above, and let me know how it goes.

How did you burn the ISO, which software did you use?
Also, make sure your BIOS is set to boot in Legacy Mode. You can boot from the Windows setup DVD in EFI mode, but EasyRE requires "legacy mode" or "csm" or "bios mode" to be on.

Back