Windows 10 System Restore defaults "off"

Terry60

Telephone Sanitizer (2nd Class)
Staff member
Just a heads-up to anyone who has ever used Windows System Restore to get them out of trouble in the past.
Windows 10 defaults to "System protection off" unlike iirc all previous WIndows since ME which have had the feature defaulting to "on" .
You might want to go and turn it on.

Thanks Terry. Mine were on, but maybe that's because both were upgrades from 7 and the settings were kept.

Mine was an upgrade from 8.1 and it lost the setting (unless I'd never turned it on there, and this is a hangover from 8 ?)
Will never know now.

Yes indeed, once done, there's not much point in going back. What has surprised me with 10 is that it installed with ease on an old originally XP since upgraded to 7 Netbook that has a lowly 1.33ghz Atom processor and only 1 gb of RAM and the darn thing works faster than it ever did. I keep it as a standby just in case my tower gives up the ghost.

I have noticed it boots faster than 7 (with fast boot turned off), but there again it has nothing else installed, compared to 7 which has a couple of years of hard-work-clutter slowing it down.

Nope, it's turned on for me:
System Restore.png

Terry, are you still dual-booting any XP-era OSes? Could it be the HnS stuff causing SR to turn off (not just be wiped)?

No, that's all on my previous PC.
This one is straight UEFI GPT dual boot of W7/W10, with W10 replacing 8.1 via WUD.
I can only assume that somehow it got turned off on 8.1 and the upgrade just propagated it.
I would never have noticed because W8 was never even used once, except to keep it patched monthly.

Back