Windows 7: system recovery headache

I have a new Toshiba Satellite Pro L550-13M running Windows 7 and I fired it up this morning and it said Windows could not start and went into startup repair.

The last thing I did with it was last night, when I ran RegistryBooster2 and it cleaned up the registry. I've used this utility loads of times with this and previous noteboks and it's been fine. I guess it's caused the problem though. It backs up the registry, but I can't restore that because I can't boot up!

So, after rebooting a few times, it eventually said "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically". If I view the diagnostic and repair details, the log lists all these tests, but says they have completed successfully. I'm on repair attempt 38. During one of them, startup repair said it was fixing a registry problem.

If I try to view the advanced options for system recovery, and select a UK keyboard, I get this message:

"You must log in to access System Recovery Options"

and my only option is to click an OK button to restart.

So, I'm stuck.

I got a Windows 7 recover CD and running startup repair on that comes up with no errors!

However, because the notebook is so new, I haven't created any restore points or recovery disks (didn't have any blank DVDs at the time).

The notebook has a HDD recovery partition, but I can't run the recovery disk to access that option because of the "you must log in" thing above.

I'm stuck!!!!! Anyone out there with any ideas?

Addendum:

Can't boot in safe mode. Last known good configuration doesn't work. All roads lead to startup repair.

Attempt 38 has this in the startup repair log:

Root cause found:
----------------------------------
Startup Repair has tried several times but still cannot determine the cause of the problem.
----------------------------------

I can use the Windows 7 recovery CD to get a command prompt and view C: and D: (where the HD recovery files are), but I don't know what to do from there.

The CD isn't for a Toshiba, so it doesn't list HD recovery as an option. I can only use it to run startup repair (which reports no problems) or get a command prompt.

Last edited:
Press and hold the Zero key whilst powering on the PC.
That will take you to the Toshiba recovery wizard where you can factory reset.
Then make your own recovery CDs from the other Toshiba options.

Press and hold the Zero key whilst powering on the PC.
That will take you to the Toshiba recovery wizard where you can factory reset.
Then make your own recovery CDs from the other Toshiba options.
Hi Terry,

Many thanks for your input.

Sadly, pressing the zero doesn't do anything on my L550-13M. All that happens is that the Toshiba screen that prompts for F2 for set-up or F12 for boot options stays on the screen until I let go of the zero key and then it attempts (and fails of course) to boot.

Have Toshiba maybe changed the key pressed on this model or, I hope not, removed it as an option???

Mark

Last edited:
On some Toshiba's, it might be a sub option of the repair option from the F8 extended boot menu.

I can't see any other options. They look the same as on any other. I guess the recovery options might work, but when I try to access them, I get this:

"You must log in to access System Recovery Options"

It doesn't ask me for a user to access it as and the only option from here is to restart the computer.

Were you actuallyholding down the zero as the power was switched on, not afterwards. ?
Failing that, I can't think of any option other than an email to Toshiba technical support.

maybe your MBR got messed up or lost
put in your windows CD and do the obligatory selections for
language and keyboard, then use shift or cntrl F10 to open a cmd prompt window

if you can get a cmd prompt try this

run bootsect /nt60 C:\
or bootsect /nt60 SYS

also look at bootsect help for other options & commands to use for this

this will reinstall the MBR for win 7

Back