Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem

Hey guys,

I wanted to bug you with another "challenge" I am facing at the moment. I am trying to install XPpro 32, XPpro 64 and Win7 ultimate 64 bit onto my old 50 Gb IDE hard drive, I'd used as a backup drive for another PC. Only some files were on it when I started.
First try started with Win7, but I changed my mind and restarted with XP and changed the partition sizes, also deleting the Win 7. When the XP32 bit was installed succesfully, I continued with the second XP version. However during installation the PC rebooted during the procedure and gave me the error in this topics title. According to some other victims, inspecting or rebuilding the boot.ini gave some light at the end of the tunnel (the "press 'R'" to repair your boot sector will not work for the "versions" I have of XP). Not for me however. After looking at the boot.ini I see the second OS mentioned, and in comparison with the PC I am typing this post on, no differences exist in these boot.ini files. I am starting to get a bit desperate.
Do I need to repair the MBR or partition table I read about?

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Thanks in advance for your advice!

Regards,

Peter

Additional info:
Also when installing Win7 ultimate 64 bit essentially the same thing happens. During installation on the third partition the PC reboots as a part of the installation process and the following error pops up:
File: \windows\system32\winload.exe
The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

Note: It was the same win7 that was succesfully installed earlier that day on the same hard drive.

Last edited:
Hi Justin,

The IDE drive is the only hard drive in the system. It is attached together with a DVD reader on a single IDE cable and both have their jumper settings to cable select.

Hope this information helped!

Regards,

Peter

Since you just started with a fresh install I would start over with XP first followed by W7. Pre-partition the disk to your liking.

Somebody on a different forum found me the solution for the problem. I hadn't attached the hard drive on the master position. Once I switched the DVD player and the hard drive everything installed perfectly.

So problem solved!

Thanks for your time and suggestions!

Regards

Peter

Back