Windows XP Pro does not boot in normal mode

Sidharr

I have 2 internal hard drives each with a pre-installed OS. The onboard hard drive that came with the computer has Windows 7 Professional 32 bit on it and the 2nd hard drive that was added has Windows XP Professional on it. I installed EasyBCD 2.3 in Windows 7 Professional. I added both entries in EasyBCD2.3 with no problem. When I boot up my computer I see the dual boot menu. I can boot to Windows 7 Pro with no problem, but when I try to boot to Windows XP Pro I get the Windows XP logo screen that just hangs there. It does not go on to the logon screen. I have waited for as much as 30 minutes to see the logon screen with no success. I have to manually power off the computer then power on again then once again select Windows XP Pro from the dual boot menu, then I get the "Safe Boot" menu screen. I then select "Safe Boot" or "Safe Boot with Networking" fro the menu and then I get the logon screen and I am able to boot into Windows XP Pro and I get my desktop. This is the only way I can boot into Windows XP Pro, only in Safe Mode. Please advise.

Is this a copy of XP from another PC originally ?
If so, it's driver-set will be customized to the chipsets and h/w configuration of the previous PC.
It will need a "repair install" from the XP installation CD to reconfigure it to the new PC.
If you don't have an XP CD because the OS came pre-installed on a previous PC, then it will be an OEM copy. licensed only for the original hardware with which it was bundled, and it will not contain a universal driver set, but only a set restricted to the old hardware and cannot be made to work properly on different hardware.
The EULA prohibits use on any PC other than the one with which it came.

Is this a copy of XP from another PC originally ?
If so, it's driver-set will be customized to the chipsets and h/w configuration of the previous PC.
It will need a "repair install" from the XP installation CD to reconfigure it to the new PC.
If you don't have an XP CD because the OS came pre-installed on a previous PC, then it will be an OEM copy. licensed only for the original hardware with which it was bundled, and it will not contain a universal driver set, but only a set restricted to the old hardware and cannot be made to work properly on different hardware.
The EULA prohibits use on any PC other than the one with which it came.

Thank you for your reply to my problem. I appreciate your response. Yes, this is a copy of XP Pro from another PC. I understand your instructions, but I have a question. You are saying that if the OS is a pre-installed OEM copy of XP Pro from another PC, there is no way to do a repair install. What if the PC with the onboard Windows 7 Pro came with DVDs entitled "Drivers and Utilities - Already Installed on Your Computer". Can these drivers be installed to the 2nd HD containing the OEM copy of XP Pro from another PC in " Safe Mode"? If so, how and will this solve the problem?

No, they'll be the drivers specific to the old hardware.
Only a "full retail" copy of the XP installation CD will contain a universal driver set which might support later h/w
I say might because XP is of course out of support now, so your hardware might be too new for even the newest version of XP to know about it.
Even if you could find (or borrow) a full retail CD, repairing the installation would still leave you with an activation problem.
Your XP OS key will be an OEM key, and MS will not allow it to be activated on new hardware.

Thank you for your response. I see, ok. I understand. Thank you for your help in this matter. I have another question. Would I encounter the same outcome if I had a pc with Windows 10 professional pre-installed and I decided to add a 2nd HD from another pc to this pc and this 2nd HD had Windows 7 professional pre-installed on and I want to do a dual boot between windows 10 professional pre-installed and windows 7 professional pre-installed on the same pc?

The same EULA restriction applies to any Windows OS bundled with hardware by the OEM I'm afraid.
I've never bought a PC, only assembled components and installed retail copies of Windows, so I'm able in theory to multi-boot everything since W95, but I find W7 does everything that I need.
W10 is installed as a dual boot (why wouldn't I when they were giving it away), but I only boot it once a month to keep the patches up to date. The lack of WMC prevents me from even considering switching to it until the black day that W7 is dropped from support.
I'm hoping by then, that W10 will have some kind of WMC replacement available via third party.

Back