Windows XP unable to boot

RayRainer

Hello: I am unable to boot from Windows XP pro using EasyBCD 2.3 I get the message that wants to repair Windows XP even though it boots and works fine on it's own. It says Windows failed to start. Info: the selected entry would not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

It could be because of how I installed each operating system. I had Windows 7 pro on it originally, then I installed Windows XP on the same sata "0" port by pulling out the cable but using a different SSD drive for each. I originally was just going to install Windows XP, then install Windows 7 which creates its own boot loader. I then hated the idea of installing Windows 7 all over again and decided to try EasyBCD. I also noticed that EasyBCD cannot be installed on Windows XP.

I am able to start up each operating system individually when I place them in sata "0" port but when I place Windows 7 in sata port 0 and Windows XP in sata port 2, it gives those messages. It is an Dell Optiplex 960. I have a 120gb SSD drive for Windows 7 and a micro 1.8 60gb drive for Windows XP. The BIOS is not set ACHI which I know presents problems with Windows XP, so it is set to ATA. Windows XP would not have installed had I used ACHI anyway. Any advice is appreciated.

Did you use EasyBCD to add an XP entry to W7's BCD ?
If so, did you let it "auto-configure" and then leave the entry untouched ?
If not, delete the failing XP entry, and add it again (as above).

Did you use EasyBCD to add an XP entry to W7's BCD ?
If so, did you let it "auto-configure" and then leave the entry untouched ?
If not, delete the failing XP entry, and add it again (as above).

Thanks for response but I am not understanding what "auto-configure" means. I did use EasyBCDto add an XP entry to W7. I did delete the failing XP entry but I am stuck at your suggestion of "auto-configure.

When you select the XP dropdown from EasyBCD > Add New Entry, there's an "automatically detect...." box to tick.

When you select the XP dropdown from EasyBCD > Add New Entry, there's an "automatically detect...." box to tick.
Thanks. I finally saw the light. For some reason, I wasn't dropping down under "Type" in "add new entry" to Windows XP. Then you see "automatically detect drive". Thanks again for your time.

Back