XP and Windows 7 will not show up with dual boot option?

Rockneee

XP and Windows 7 will not show up with dual boot option?
OP Systems
Windows 7 64bit on Raid 0 with separate hard drives and of course controller
Windows XP SP3 32bit Raid 0 as well with separate hard drives and controller
GA-X58AUD3R motherboard
Process I did
1) I installed windows 7
2) I then installed Windows XP on other RAID, no problems
3) No dual boot (I tried using EasyBCD, by adding entry of xp with giving Reserved 7 partition a letter and writing to MBR etc.. to no avail) Thus deleted the entry.

I have to go into BIOS to manually switch Hard drives as first boot option, thus OP systems to start from

4) I wanted to get rid of the 100MB reserved partition, so I created a extra partition (D:smile: in windows 7 from first install and then reinstalled Windows 7 deleting the 100MB partition, but it stayed (unallocated space) and I installed on the original partition I used last time
5) Windows 7 installed no problems, and it noticed XP hard drive which I named XPSP3, But NO DUAL BOOT option
6) I took screen shots
7) In XP, I tried BCD 2.0 Error “The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The system cannot find the file specified.”
8) XP does not recognize Win 7 drives but Win 7 can of XP’s. I did notice that the name Change I gave XP main drive in Win 7 à was in XP’s of XPSP3

Attachments

• XP only one.JPG
    XP only one.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Computer Drives XP.JPG
    Computer Drives XP.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Computer_Drives_Win7.jpg
    Computer_Drives_Win7.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Disk_Management_win7.jpg
    Disk_Management_win7.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Windows_7_only_one_for_boot.jpg
    Windows_7_only_one_for_boot.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 4
It looks like XP can't see the 7 drive, which of course is why it cannot load the BCD.

What you need to do is relocate the BCD to the Windows XP disk.

Set XP as the boot drive. In EasyBCD, go to diagnostics -> change boot drive. Select the XP drive from there, let it set it as the new boot device.

Thereafter, add a 7 and XP entry to the BCD store.

Do the below from XP or Win 7 enviroment?

Do the below from XP or Win 7 enviroment?, cant get into EasyBCD 2.0 from XP.

1) Set XP as the boot drive. (with EasyBCD as #2 below?)
2) In EasyBCD, go to diagnostics -> change boot drive. Select the XP drive from there, let it set it as the new boot device.

3) Thereafter, add a 7 and XP entry to the BCD store. (will do or ask after 1 and 2 above)

XP no load

I now have XP as option to boot, but it says not valid system disk on selecting its option.
In Win7, XP is drive G: and I can choose that option and did. I switch between the two hard drive setups in BIOS to see if either will boot up in XP, both work in Win7 but not XP, same message, about not a valid disk or so.
I simply changed the drive letter to G: (the drive letter I see with XP on it in Windows 7) I tried this in both Hard drives (from BIOS)
On first try I made the Windows XP for the second boot from the add remove in easyBCD
I hope but switching RAID disk in BIOS does not confuse my writings, it is just something I try if the original win7 boot up (as first) does not work, I try the second, which is the XP boot drive
1) Raid 0 windows 7 disk
2) Raid 0 XP disk
I just choose between them to boot up first but always the 1) First to try the dual boot.

Attachments

• Win7.jpg
    Win7.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Choices.jpg
    Choices.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 4
Don't change any drive letters. Just let EasyBCD autoconfigure your XP entry when it prompts to do so.

Back