If you were unlucky enough to break your IE7 install (via a repair of Windows or a failed install), you can get it fixed in two easy steps!
- Download this file and save it as C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (obviously changing C:\ with the drive letter of your XP Partition…)
- After overwriting the existing IE7 iexplore.exe with iexplore6.exe from the link above, re-run the Internet Explorer 7 installer.. It should not bother you about having already installed IE7!
Should that fail, you have to use this much longer method; but it is guaranteed to work.
- Get either WinRAR or PowerArchiver. I recommend the latter.
- Right-click on the IE7 installer, and extract it to a folder (using WinRAR or PA)
- Browse to Update\Update.inf
- Open it in WordPad
- In update.inf remove the section that says [Prerequisite]
- Save changes, BUT DO NOT EXIT.
- Press ctrl+z to undo, BUT DO NOT SAVE
- Run Update\Update.exe
- The very nanosecond that Update.exe shows up, save the WordPad document.
- If everything went fine (as far as you saving at the right times), IE7 will reinstall and fix itself. If not, redo the steps above. Make sure that when you launch IE7 Installer, [Prerequisite] & Co. are erased, and right after launching the installer, they are available.
- Feel free to uninstall IE7 via the Add/Remove CP or keep it. It will work either way.