Dual UnBoot

TuNneLvizn

Good Day All,
I have a BCD dual-Boot system (used since 2011) . It has a Win7 and an WinXP OS's installed on two separate drives . I have need to clone my Win7 drive to a new HDD . But to do the cloning, I need to remove the "multi-boot" configuration (per the cloning software) . As I don't want to mess up either installation, how do I go about enacting this ?

Thank you in advance for your consideration and help in this matter .
BCD screen.png

HDD Structure.JPG

If you don't have a W7 installation DVD, create a repair disc (Control Program > Backup & Restore > Create repair disc)
Clone disk 1
When you replace it with the clone, it probably won't boot (depending on your partition manager)

Boot the repair disc (or installation DVD)
"Repair your computer" > "Repair startup"

Do the above two lines, three times

When the cloned HDD boots successfully, delete the XP entry from the BCD (if it exists), then add the XP entry again, letting EasyBCD auto-configure.
Don't change what it sets up.

Hello TuNneLvizn, it looks like your system is similar to the one what I'm planning to setup. I have a hdd with Win XP Pro SP2 already installed that I want to add to a PC that has its own hdd running Win10 Pro. As of now, the BIOS boot order is the Win10 hdd first and no secondary. After I install the WinXP hdd, should I keep Win10 first in the BIOS boot order and then WinXP? And on which drive should I install EasyBCD, WinXP or Win10?

@Reginald
Adding an XP HDD from a different PC (unless it's identical hardware to the new PC), probably won't work straight away.
XP will probably be missing a few drivers.
If XP is a retail version you bought with an installation CD, you'll most likely need to do a "Repair Install" so that it can find the necessary drivers and upgrade your XP without losing any custom 3rd party software you may be using on it.
If it's the HDD from a PC you bought with XP already onboard, it will have an OEM licence which is only valid on the h/w it was purchased with, and you won't be able to use it on your later hardware. MS won't activate the system even if you could get it to work.

What I was successful with booting the XP drive in new and different hardware was to boot into safe mode. Delete most of the hardware in Device Manager and then rebooting. This worked it I was connected to the Internet. The OS would download and install the correct drivrs for the new hardware without complaining.
In the event of the OS not having NIC driver then you would have to download the appropriate driver on a different PC, transfer it with a pendrive and install it to make it work. I remember using an application that was like 45-50 mb in size that contained drivers for absolutely every NIC or USB Dongle and whatever. It would recognise the hardware and make internet available to you. Then there was an accompanying app that would recognise absolutely every kind of hardware and download the correct driver and install them.

Back