EasyBCD dual boot W10 primary and windows 7 as second O.S.

MiguelC

Hello All

I´ve a Toshiba R600 with 5 GB and SSD 512GB, a few times ago I upgrade system from 7 to windows 10, now he is with windows 10 64 bits professional; A few weeks ago I need to use a usb to serial to program a switch, and I feel the need of old windows 7, so I shrink disk partition to have this:

One partition System Reserved 100MB NTFS, other partition Windows 10 301GB NTFS Primary, other partition with near 174 GB windows 7 NTFS, and Healthy recovery partition with 450MB.

My first O.S. installed is windows 10 C: Letter, I found EasyBCD recommendation, and also corrected Power off button for windows 10 to shutdown instead hibernation.

I read the manual of EasyBCD but I´m a little confused, only talking about windows 7 and Vista & Linux...

Having windows 10 as first, and primary partition, and other logical boot partition for windows 7 were do I install/manage boot using EasyBCD ? To prevent windows 7 W: letter to see C: drive windows 10 what is the best procedure.

Sorry, I´m newbie using EasyBCD, I understand dual boot, and when I install second O.S. my case Windows 7, the instruction must be integrated before windows 10 and windows 7 start system.

I would like to verify EasyBCD advantages to recommend, but with the downloaded manual will be a little bit confuse "for me", read a few forum topics, but they are the reverse using first lower O.S. and higher OS as second system.

Thanks for your support.

Attachments

• Partition Schema.jpg
    Partition Schema.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 5
Have you already installed W7, or is that logical drive W just allocated but empty ?

I should cross my fingers, :smile: for the moment dual boot windows 10 and windows 7 is working fine, if I request restart always windows 7 is the preferable system, if I do not interact with dual boot screen.
herewith I send you my driver's view at windows 10 and windows 7, my preoccupation is System Recovery partition appears to be the same, or I´m wrong.
With this schema for the moment I never started EasyBCD, because of it I would like to have your advise about it.

Attachments

• Windows 7 view drives.jpg
    Windows 7 view drives.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Windows 10 view drives.jpg
    Windows 10 view drives.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 2
Doesn't sound like you need EasyBCD for anything.
Don't worry about starting it.
It's just a passive utility program. It won't do anything to your system by being there or by being started.
Sounds like all you might want to do with it would be to change the descriptions of your menu choices if you don't find them clear enough already, or change which system is default sometime in the future, or shorten the boot menu wait time if it's too long at present.
All of that is described here
EasyBCD Basics
EasyBCD won't help you hide one system from the other though. That's not a capability built in to the Microsoft bootmgr, so even EasyBCD can't help you make bootmgr do something it's incapable of. (You can do it using Grub4Dos, but we won't confuse things by describing that process here)
You can however, simply remove the disk letter from the W10 drive when you are booted into W7 using the Disk Management snap-in. (and remove the W7 letter when booted in W10 if you wish).
Windows won't display in Explorer (and won't let you access) any drive without a letter, so that will effectively "hide" one system from another and prevent any unwanted updating of the "wrong" system.

As I sent I still have partitions schema as I sent you at first email, I only have what I consider a small issue, maybe it is not...
My first OS installed was windows 10 Pro, after that I shrink partition and install customized windows 7 Pro, to solve killed restore points at windows 10 after start windows 7, I use a solution creating at W7 a register Offline pointing to \DosDevice\my windows 10 letter this case "C:" , whit this I put C: offline and stopped losing restore points at windows 10.Solved Recovery points are killed - Windows 10 Forums
At windows 10 to hide windows 7 partition, I remove w: letter at windows 10, with this I also stop unwanted access from windows 10 to my windows 7 partition.
My small issue - Without my understanding from one moment to another, if I select traditional Black Screen for windows 7, and select windows 10 to start, disk have some access and stops accessing at screen spinning circles without presenting me log screen, with this, I must power off and power on computer, selecting again Windows 10 at second time I have always a successful start and log screen. With windows 7 I always have a startup without this problem.
I use my recovery CD tools windows 10 to ran at command line bootrec commands to see if I fix this (/Fixmbr, /Fixboot, /scanos, /rebuild bcd), no good result.
Using Easybcd I also enable Metro Menu and problem pass to bootloader screen, disk have some access and stops accessing at screen spinning circles without presenting me bootloader choices windows 10 or Windows 7, I must power off and power on computer, and at second time always get bootloader screen to choose OS.
I also ran from Easybcd a repair to boot without good result.
Computer is completely protected without any malware as I check it with Kaspersky Endpoint full updated, and other malware tools.
Your help will be welcome.

Back