Vista Booting Issue BSOD

Hi all,

I was wondering whether you could help, basically I have a 4TB SSHD installed which I have formatted as GPT and have allocated the following Windows OSs to the following partitions in ascending order: Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64 (Partition 3), Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Partition 4), Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64 (Partition 5), Windows 8 Pro x64 (Partition 6), Windows 8.1 Pro x64 (Partition 7) and Windows 10 Pro x64 (Partition 8). When installing Vista using the partition wizard, I created each partition with 120GB of space apart from Partition 8 which I allocated 1.5TB, Partition 1 (System Reserved) and Partition 2 (ESR) were automatically created when creating a partition for Vista, the remainder of disk space I have left as unallocated for the future just in case I want to create new or expand existing partitions. However the problem I have got when booting into Vista, it comes up with a BSOD error code *** STOP: 0x0000001E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005,0xFFFFF80003ACC7,0x0000000000000000,0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF) that I cannot fix even after reinstalling the OS which was now changed the bootloader from Windows 10 to Windows Vista but Windows 10 is the default OS that the PC boots to. Is there anyway for EasyBCD to rectify this issue? I have been advised several ways on how to rectify this issue but cannot find a solution that is easiest to implement. Your help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

Update

I am now attempting to reverse engineer the problem by reinstalling each OS one at a time in order of oldest to newest using separate partitions, I can remember Vista working up until the point when I put on Windows 7 in which it performed a Check Disk during install of Windows 7 and wasn't sure whether this amended the partition table. Will keep you posted.

Update

Discovered that Windows OSs beyond Windows 7 break the Vista boot, I'm now assuming its because of the latest boot loader, not unless I change the boot order using bcdedit but I'm not sure whether that would change the boot loader back to the classic boot loader though.

Update

Even temporarily removing the boot entries for Windows 10, 8.1 and 8 using EasyBCD didn't work which I would have expected to work.

P.S. I found this link Repair Dual-boot (Multi-boot) Configuration: Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 whilst I was on the Internet which unfortunately is for MBR, however the other thing I have noticed when logging in to each Windows OS is that the drive letters in Windows Explorer change slightly each time, this should have nothing to do with it surely?

Last edited:
Update

Installed Ubuntu using some of the instructions from the following link http://askubuntu.com/questions/34326.../343352#343352, used 32000MB for swap area and 120000MB for Ubuntu primary partition but according to the link I should have chosen logical for the Ubuntu primary partition but may have misinterpreted the instructions though. However the problem I have got now is that the PC boots to the GRUB2 menu instead of the Windows Boot Manager and have to go through the GRUB2 menu, not sure whether I selected the EFI version of GRUB2 though as I selected Ext4 journaling file system for the setup of the Ubuntu primary partition plus Vista still comes up with the same BSOD as before when using the Windows Boot Manager i.e. now the classic bootloader instead of the Metro bootloader. With regards to drive letters in Windows Explorer as long as the drive letter is C or something else for each version of Windows you boot into then that's fine.

Update

I have concluded that this experiment is currently not possible on a GPT volume with Windows Vista and can only be either achieved using one or more MBR/GPT volumes or by using virtual emulators. If anyone can find a way round this problem please feel free to post your resolutions in this thread.

Hi dom50,

Thank you for your compliment, I hope that either myself and/or someone else will find a solution to make this possible including NeoSmart Technologies.

Regards,

RocknRollTim

Update

I went down the path of EasyBCD for a few months and wasn't able to rectify my issue, I figure its because my PC drivers aren't officially supported by Windows Vista hence why I was experiencing unpredictable behaviour with Windows Vista alongside Windows 8 and above plus not to mention why I wasn't able to get any drivers to work with Windows Vista when operating independently without any incompatible OSs alongside such as Windows 8 and above. I therefore conclude that my experiment I was wanting to achieve cannot be carried out successfully without getting a PC that supports EFI or UEFI from the years 2005 or 2006, that's if I can find one of course, if not, looks like I will have to result to a hypervisor to run the OSs I want to experiment with but saying that this method doesn't give a sense of realism when it comes to testing incompatibility of drivers. The PC I was testing with was a Dell Vostro 470.

Back