Updating when system shutting down

Hikermann

Distinguished Member
Windows 7 :
- PC has not been connected to the Internet for over a week, yet
- every evening when shutting down a screen notice appears to not turn off the computer because "1 of 2" or "1 of 3" or some such updates are installing; so
- what is this about? since the supposed updates cannot have been downloaded because there's no Internet connection, from where are they magically appearing again and again?

Thanks. Appreciated.

If I were you I'd get into Windows Update and change "Allow windows to update automatically" to "Notify me when updates are available" and take control of when WUD can download and/or update my OS.
It sounds as though you've got something which downloaded some time ago and keeps trying to "auto update" at shutdown.
Have a look in the history tab of Windows Update and see if you've got some "failed" updates which the system keeps retrying.
If so, research them ("more info") and decide whether you want them (manually sort it out) or not (hide them).
If you're on W7, they could be WUD trying to prepare for a W10 update
kb2952664
kb3021917
kb3035583
kb3112343
kb3123862
kb3123862
are all such updates.
If you don't suddenly want to become W10, get rid of them all.

Thanks for the reply!
1. Went to Windows Update and changed "Allow windows to update automatically" to "Download & notify me . . ."; will see what results
2. Went to the history tab of Windows Update and there was a "failed" update which repeated numerous times -- the monthly MS update
3. Was also an AMD driver update which had failed several times; went to their website and successfully downloaded from there; end of that
4. Went to "more info" and did find the "KB2952664" (on your "WUD trying to prepare for a W10 update" list), so, yes, that's been attempted
5. Went to Check for Updates, which has now successfully downloaded the current offerings:
• 2017-09 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7 on Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB4041083)
• 2017-09 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4038777)
• Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - September 2017 (KB890830)
6. So now will wait and see what shows up when I'm shutting down tonight . . .

Again, thanks.

Back