EasyBCD fails to run in WinXP

wckwyser

I have a laptop with Win7. Following the instructions in the manual, I installed WinXP on a new partition. After installation, I could not boot into Win7 (as expected). I installed EasyBCD and the Net Framwork 2.0 SP1. I ran EasyBCD using my user account with administrator privileges. I got the license message and clicked OK. Then - nothing. What did I do wrong?

You don't need to run as admin.
EasyBCD will do everything necessary to obtain the necessary privileges.
Long time since I used XP, what message did you reply OK to ?
If you have previously used EasyBCD, try clearing the Neosmart folder from your ..user/yourname/apddata/local... folder before reinstalling.

You don't need to run as admin.
EasyBCD will do everything necessary to obtain the necessary privileges.
Long time since I used XP, what message did you reply OK to ?
If you have previously used EasyBCD, try clearing the Neosmart folder from your ..user/yourname/apddata/local... folder before reinstalling.

Thank you for responding.
This was the first time I tried EasyBCD. I clicked OK to the License message since I am using EasyBCD at home.

I Tried a few things: I deleted the Neosmart folder in my Appdata folder and tried again - no luck. I created a limited user and tried again - I got a message saying that EasyBCD needed an administrator account to run. I attached the config file from the Neosmart folder in my Appdata folder.
By the way in addition to Net Framework 2.0 SP1, I also have Net Framework 3.0 SP1 and 3.5 installed.

Attachments

• user.config.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 2
Did you by any chance choose a language other than English when EasyBCD first started up? That would have been before even the license dialog.

The first time you run EasyBCD before the license dialog is shown, you'll see this:

1522175323930.png

It is necessarily shown before the dialog because it determines the language used to display it. I've blindly clicked through it without paying it any attention many times, but it doesn't matter - if English is what you chose, it's not a factor (there's a bug that might prevent EasyBCD from starting up if a different language was chosen that we're trying to pin down).

After trying to start EasyBCD, can you check the task manager for any of the following (under detailed view):

• bcdedit.exe
  • bootgrabber.exe
  • utfredirect.exe

I remember the language request, but could not replicate it. I attached print screens to show what Task Manager showed. Only a EasyBCD process shows and no applications. Remember WinXP is very old - there is no detailed view.

Attachments

• Before EasyBCD.JPG
    Before EasyBCD.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Clicked OK - No Applications NO EasyBCD Process.JPG
    Clicked OK - No Applications NO EasyBCD Process.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Started Program - No Language REquest.JPG
    Started Program - No Language REquest.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Started Program No Language Request.JPG
    Started Program No Language Request.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 2
@wckwyser Sorry, I meant the "processes" tab as it was called under XP. Can you show the full contents of the processes tab, with the "show processes from all users" box ticked?

Here they are. Do you have a debug version that I could run? That may show what is wrong.

Attachments

• After Clicking OK.JPG
    After Clicking OK.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Before EasyBCD.JPG
    Before EasyBCD.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 0
  • With EasyBCD Runnning.JPG
    With EasyBCD Runnning.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 0
Another update. MS Update updated NF 2.0 SP1 to SP2. Does this make any difference?
I searched for the three programs on the computer with Win XP, They don't exist.
Bill

I did another search (manually this time) and found the three files in the EasyBCD/bin directory. So they do exist, but why are they not running?

OK we have success! Thinking that I missed something, I started over and did a clean install of WinXP SP1 on drive D (second partition). Win7 is on drive C (first partition). There are no other partitions (hidden or otherwise). I had to install WinXP SP3 to install Net Framework 2.1. I ran EasyBCD install program which downloaded and installed Net Framework 2.0 SP2 then installed EasyBCD. I then started EasyBBCD and got the program menue.

I had a few missteps, but I was able to boot Win 7 or Win XP based on my choice.
Thank you for your support.

Bill

Back