Leftovers

L3d

Hi i recently used easybcd to get the boot dir over to my c drive. And now i am left with 2 folders one is the old boot dir under e, the other a new folder called efi under my c drive which isn't hiden like the boot folder.. Sow am i safe to asume i can delete both "old" folders now, after using this program ? This was really helpfull because i wanted my m2 slot to work at 4x but first needed to put my 2 extra drives in sata1 and 2 because they were on 5 and 6 and m2 doesnt word on 4x speed :sob:

I just moved and got my own internet now and properly connected ,little on the late side anywhos here goes.
Btw windows wont finish or complete the last 2 Cumulative/quality updates anymore too ,personaly i think it gave up on one then tried to move on heh.. And is it normal to have some driver called firmware in device manager ? Nice to have an e-car+app xD

Attachments

• BOOT.png
    BOOT.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I'm puzzled by the lack of an "active" flag on your C drive and by your mention of a efi folder.
Can you post the contents of EasyBCD "view settings".

Maybe it has something to do with this ,you figured my c drive is an ssd mp500 but that has nothing to do with i idk ..Im getting this error when i open the program now :/

Attachments

• huh.png
    huh.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 5
Yes, EasyBCD is as confused by the lack of an active flag as I was.
It will look for the active flagged partition on disk 0 to find the BCD and of course that doesn't exist.
You can just manually steer EasyBCD to the C partition to get it to open, but I'm not quite sure how your PC is booting at all without an active flag on the "system" (boot) partition.
Turn the flag on in Disk Management and EasyBCD should find the BCD by itself.

Hi again, how do i change it to active ? The mark as active is unclickable :frowning: and msconfig was eaven worse ,nothing under boot OMG :fearful:

Last edited:
Ok ,where do i click navigate or change something to c ?
I do have a bcd backup file right in documents but i changed my 2 hd,s from 5/6 to 1/2(m.2 ssd has windows) and did the ebcd after. I dont need to find a .bcd file first ?

edit: I typed word instead of work in the first post up there lols

Click "Yes" on that EasyBCD error message and it will go into a standard Windows "Open" dialogue.
Just choose your C disk.

Before i click this it is c:/efi/microsoft/boot/BCD ?
Cant just click on the c drive and nothing directly under c drive ,there is a profile.bcd file in the neosmart prog,s folder tho idk ..
It wants to load a bcd file but i would prefer just my c drive :sweat:
I just moved and im a little busy ,doing a daything job kinda not work heh

Do you have your folder options set like this ?
http://neosmart.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=700&d=1235661652
If not, do so.
The boot files (for MBR/BIOS) are directly in the root (i.e. C:\boot\BCD) but are super-hidden so you need folder options as above to see them.
The boot files (for UEFI/GPT) are in the EFI System partition (which you do not have)
This is why I'm confused.
UEFI doesn't have an "active" flag, it uses the above partition always.
BIOS searches the MBR for the active flag which indicates the partition containing the boot files.
You keep mentioning efi, but you do not have an EFI system partition.
That's why I wanted to look at your "view settings", to see if bootmgr is loading Winload.exe (MBR/BIOS) or Winload.efi (GPT/UEFI)
You can see the same information if you open a Windows Command Processor window (Run as administrator) and type bcdedit

Powershell(admin) told me this:
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> bcdedit
The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
The requested system device cannot be found.

I do have an active flag still on my e drive heh i know im using eufi, finely :rage:
May the old win7 mbr be part of this whole ordeal that was first installed on my old system ?
Used the hd,s for it too ..win7 wasn't on there but an pci ssd i used ..
And i remeber i removed the old win7 boot out of msconfig that was really annoying making me choose at startup, win7 was long gone and the ssd is resting. This is all too weird and im not that good at photoshop yet :tonguewink:

A UEFI PC looks like this, with an EFI System Partition (and no active flag)

DM.JPG
UEFI accommodates MBR drives but it won't boot from one, just uses it for data, so you must be booting in legacy mode.
In that case, I can't see how you're booting at all, since the first thing that happens after POST is to search the MBR for "active".
Your only active flag is on your old E drive, but if the boot files were used from there, your Disk Management would show E as "active" and "system", so somehow it's getting to C despite the active flag being missing.
Were you UEFI when you were using W7?
Something is clearly messed up (possibly when you used msconfig to remove stuff), which is why neither bcdedit, nor EasyBCD can find information for you. The mystery is how the boot still works. There's presumably some hardwired default fallback code (try the first partition on Disk 0) in the event of finding itself in that situation. (A distinct possibility, since XP used to do something similar in the event of a dodgy boot.ini file, which often got people with simple systems out of hot water)
Since Disk Management won't let you set the active flag on C, you could try setting it using a bootable Partition Manager disc.
All your BCD management tools should start working then.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and yeah maybe it was legacy stuff (new system with 2 old hd,s pw suply pc case ..shouldn't have connected the extra hd,s at install) and i really think its eufi now and using dat windows thingy as a first boot in the bios ,but in any case isnt this my best option now ?

3 - Fix the MBR Using Command Prompt
Usually, you will see Windows Boot Options menu after your computer restarts several times.
If not you need the original Windows 10 installation DVD to repair the Master boot record. Boot from the original installation DVD (or the recovery USB). At the Welcome screen, click Repair your computer. Then, you can follow the steps below to open command Prompt to fix MBR in Windows 10.
1. Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
2. When Command Prompt appears, enter the following lines and press Enter after each line:
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot

In some cases, you may need to run some additional commands.
bootsect /nt60 SYS or bootsect /nt60 ALL

3. Press Enter after each command and wait for each operation to finish. Exit and now go ahead and reboot your system.

Oldskool ? :wink:

Last edited:
Back