Can't seem to boot Kubuntu

Krono

So I installed Kubuntu to a separate partition, chose not to install GRUB so that I could use EasyBCD. EasyBCD sees my Kubuntu partition, I checked the no grub on this partition box, but I still cant boot Kubuntu, it just goes to a grub loader. I feel as if this is something simple that I just don't get.

Hello Krono Welcome to NeoSmart Technologies!

Now if i am not mistaken Linux has to boot thru GRUB. So if you cant boot into Linux i would suggest installing the NeoGRUB and trying that way.

Do you haev XP, Vista, OS X installed? I am guessing that you are using at least Vista since you are using EasyBCD which controls the Vista bootloader.

I dont know for sure since i havent tried Linux. CG (Computer Guru) can answer your question better. But at least try to isntall the NeoGRUB and see if that does anything to help out.:wink:

Ok, I've set up NeoGrub, but how does one start the kernel? Yeah, I do have Vista Ultimate installed.

Haven't tried linux? Are you thinking about it?

Alright so with the NeoGRUB isntalled does it allow you to boot insto Linux? The kernel should start with the OS when it boots. Maybe with you not installing the GRUB something happened with the Linux isntall that wont allow it to boot.

I have thought about it but i havent found a distro that likes my system setup.

AFAIK I should be able to boot into Kubuntu, but it goes to GRUB and I have no idea how to mount the partition and such, so I'd say I'm stuck. I usually don't mess with GRUB, I usually have Linux and Windows on separate machines just so I don't have to mess with the whole dual boot thing, but my dorm room is small so I've got to take it down to one machine.

>> I have thought about it but i havent found a distro that likes my system setup.

How so?

AFAIK I should be able to boot into Kubuntu, but it goes to GRUB and I have no idea how to mount the partition and such, so I'd say I'm stuck. I usually don't mess with GRUB, I usually have Linux and Windows on separate machines just so I don't have to mess with the whole dual boot thing, but my dorm room is small so I've got to take it down to one machine.

>> I have thought about it but i havent found a distro that likes my system setup.

How so?
Shouldnt you be able to mount the drive with something like Knippox? I know it is a live CD but there has to be a way from within a Linux Live Distro that can do this for you. CG will be able to help more than me on this.

I have SATA HDD's and every distro i have downloaded doesnt find the drives when i go to install.:angry:

I think it's some kind of setting in NeGRUB's menu.lst. I'll try to figure it out, since I don't know my kernel version off the top of my head, I'll probably have to install GRUB on a bootsector and just make sure I don't accidentally write over the MBR.

>> I have SATA HDD's and every distro i have downloaded doesnt find the drives when i go to install.

Are you using a hardware RAID? If so, that's probably why.

No i dont use RAID. Just SATA. They are a Intel based driver so that could be the issue. Plus it is on a Dell Dimension 8400. Jsut cant seem to get Linux isntalled.

So I installed Kubuntu to a separate partition, chose not to install GRUB so that I could use EasyBCD. EasyBCD sees my Kubuntu partition, I checked the no grub on this partition box, but I still cant boot Kubuntu, it just goes to a grub loader. I feel as if this is something simple that I just don't get.

Hi Krono, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies!

Delete that Linux entry and create a new NeoGrub one instead. You'll have to then edit the configuration file (just press that big button) and put something like this in there:

Code:
# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This NeoGrub menu.lst file should be located at \NST\menu.lst of the boot drive.
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries

#Ubuntu
root (hd1,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic ro root=/dev/hdb2
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic
boot

Actually, the recommended way of installing Linux to use EasyBCD is to go ahead and install GRUB - just to the bootsector of the partition instead of the MBR. But that's OK, configuring NeoGrub like this should do the trick.

No i dont use RAID. Just SATA. They are a Intel based driver so that could be the issue. Plus it is on a Dell Dimension 8400. Jsut cant seem to get Linux isntalled.

That's weird - Intel was the first to release open source drivers for their hardware.
Did you try either Ubuntu or Fedora Core? They both have excellent SATA support..

Back