NTLDR Is Missing

Here is the problem...I am trying to fix my laptop it is saying NTLDR is missing and I can get so far and it finds ntautodetect and that is as far as I can get. I have the windows xp recovery disc. Shouldn't it be on that? I have tried the steps on the support page. I downloaded the EBCD from there and followed all of the steps up to I386 and NTLDR is not listed as a file in that folder. I don't know how to proceed.This is as far as it lets me get to mount & boot center.

IMG_6267.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I moved this to your own thread as it isn't the same subject as where you posted. I'll leave you to the experts but will tell you that EasyBCD is not compatible with an XP-only system. If you have dual boot XP then just use XP's boot menu.
NTLDR is missing usually indicates too many entries or an orphaned entry in the boot menu so it confuses the system.
Did you try this: NTLDR is missing: Fix for Windows XP

Last edited:
The message is telling you that the XP boot manager/loader is not present in the "active" partition.
The "active" flag is a pointer to the MBR's Initial Program Loader, telling it where to look for the next link in the boot chain.
If that pointer doesn't correctly identify the true location of the XP boot files, you'll get the error message.
It doesn't necessarily mean that NTLDR is missing from its correct location, just that you're looking in the wrong place.
Have you moved/removed the active flag ?
If so, put it back on the XP partition which is controlling the dual-boot.
If you don't know which one that is, try them both.
The "mount & boot center" program should do that for you according to its blurb.
If you can't see how, a free Bootable Partition Manager will do it for you.

I didn't get a Windows XP start up disc with my laptop. It was already installed on my laptop. I tried to download the partition manager but it wouldn't download. Terry, where would the active flag be located?

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Do you think if I reinstall Windows XP on my laptop, would that fix the ntldr error message?

Last edited:
Back