Secure Boot Violation: Invalid signature detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup

wmenr1

I'm using an Asus Q501 laptop. Windows update on April 8 resulted in the infinite loop problem where Automatic Repair repeatedly fails. I managed to get to a previous restore point and backup files. All applications (MS Office, Photoshop, iTunes, etc.) worked but browsers couldn't see the internet despite being connected via wifi, which indicated internet access. Troubleshooting indicated that Norton Security Suite was not installed properly (it worked fine previously). In attempting to reinstall Norton, the machine needed to restart. On restart, it grabs Windows updates and this results in Windows not loading properly, sending the machine back into the infinite loop of Automatic Repair failure. So, among other things, I'd like to know how to startup without having the machine grab Windows updates. I'm guessing the April 8 update got corrupted somehow.

So, I tried the Easy Recovery Essentials disk, but when I load it, I get the message I put in the title of this post, "Secure Boot Violation: Invalid signature detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup."

I'm not a system administrator, nor do I aspire to be one, so I'm not sure what to do at this point. I can always restore my machine to factory conditions using the recovery partition, but that means spending my day (or weekend) reinstalling all the applications I've installed. I was hoping that for $20, EasyRE would get my machine back to working, but it appears that EasyRE is not all that Easy, at least not for me. Before I do the factory restore, I'd like to know if there's an easy way to get beyond the Secure Boot Violation.

Thanks.

Back