Help with Win 7 and XP dual boot

ozstar

Hi,

I have searched here and Google and found similar probs but so far not exactly so here I am. :smile:

I had XP on a HD and then decided I also wanted to use Win 7.

I got an SSD and put Win 7 Ult on it.

I then put on EastBCD and could use both boots just fine for quite a while.

A few days later I updated some regular drivers and on later start up, when I got the Win7 and XP boot option, the XP worked and the Win7 didn't.

I unplugged the Win 7 and changed the Bios to boot to the XP and it went fine as usual.

I then unplugged the XP drive and plugged the Win 7 in and wit the bios change it too worked fine.

I plugged them both in again together and got the XP and Win 7 loader okay but only Win 7 works.

I now get this error message when I try the XP option.

Can't start file missing or corrupt.
winroot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Install a copy fo the file.

I am not sure where I do this and on what drive or do I do something else?

Thanks

oz

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

I looked for that ntoskrnl file in both drives and they are both there. (When logged into the Win 7 drive I can still see the XP drive in Win7 Explorer)

The Win 7 file vs is 6.1.7601.17514 21/11/2010
The Xp file is vs 5.1.2600.6419 4/8/2004

Maybe this helps

Thanks

oz

ADDED:
This is the boot.ini on the XP drive

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Not sure if this help..

Just checked Win7 and in Startup settings it shows Win7 with 30 secs and if I click the options. XP is listed.

Last edited:
Boot W7. In EasyBCD delete the XP entry from the BCD.
Add another XP entry, letting EasyBCD auto-configure.

Back