lost Win/7 password now I'm really confused

janisum

Hi to all and thanks for reading.

Ok..I am a novice user so please excuse my terminology. I bought a Dell Inspirion laptop used and with Win/7 already installed. I was given a temp. password to use and then created my own but did not create a password disk. Everything was fine until my computer rebooted after several windows updates and then I was taken back to my win/ login page with a forgotten PW.

I've been attempting to recover it for a month and all I would get is the same "username or PW is incorrect". But today I got the "Password Reset Wizard". It tells me the disk is in drive USB20FD (E). I'm confused as to what it is referring to since I have no disk. I did, however, transfer some files from my desktop before first using.

Do you think I need to purchase "Easy Recovery Essentials" to obtain a Dell recovery disk or am I missing the big picture and a simple solution is lurking. I really need to get this laptop back up especially after my shoulder surgery.
:O

Thanks in advance

Janisum

If you've genuinely just forgotten your own password, the discussion in the middle of this thread might help
Windows XP cannot be added in EasyBCD
but there is a possibility that this is a malware generated message, i.e. you have a virus infection which has taken control of your logon.
If you blindly follow some proffered "wizard", there's a chance that you will be handing the keys to the kingdom to the virus.
Search the internet for "user or password is incorrect virus" for advice.

Back