Another Dual boot mess. V Hme, XP Pro

Weanuts

First off, to NeoSmart Technologies, thank you for a great product, ver 1.7.2

My problem is, I had a good working dual boot system. Vista Home on first partition c: drive, and XP Pro on 2nd partition D: drive. I was happy with operation (Editing at times with ver of EasyBCD). A couple of days ago I installed another Sata drive into Usb port and installed Vista on the drive. It appeared to accept operation successfully. Upon reboot I got a blue screen which basically said my laptop could be harmed if I didn't undo or remove the new hardware.

Here is the rub. When booting now, after making adjustments, right or wrong, in BCDedit, I get on reboot my normal screen with a choice of Vista and Xp default to Xp (my choice) Upon accepting Xp I get normal operation. Appears ok. Reboot to same screen, and try Vista choice and i get another screen, which says, due to hardware change, plus other statements, and a choice of several startup procedures, safe, safe with, and or start normal. I have tried safe and it works. I am now using normal, which appears to function properly.

I would love to get back to a choice of one or the other without the second screen.

If someone could help with a cut and paste of debug screen, I would post

I hunt and peck w keyboard so It take a bit type it type screen out.

Much appreciated. Thanks i advance for any input

Addendum:

Hope this helps.

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {69db8b25-9cd2-11dc-aef4-b54158927b7d}
displayorder {69db8b24-9cd2-11dc-aef4-b54158927b7d}
{69db8b25-9cd2-11dc-aef4-b54158927b7d}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 36

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {69db8b24-9cd2-11dc-aef4-b54158927b7d}
device partition=C:
path \NTLDR
description Windows XP

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {69db8b25-9cd2-11dc-aef4-b54158927b7d}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista Home Basic
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {0b78bbe3-1f19-11dd-8f77-806e6f6e6963}

Last edited:
Is Vista still on the Enclosure? If so that is where the problem lies. Vista does not have the ability to boot or work from a External enclosure.

No it is on hard drive C: partition only

No it is on hard drive C: partition only. At one point the system wanted me to report to MS. It was after doing a repair. I answered no and got this setup that I reported

thank you for your reply
regards

Control Panel | System | Advanced Settings | Advanced | Startup and Recovery | Settings
Change the "Time to display list of recovery options when needed" value to something real short (like 1). I don't recommend setting it to zero.

32 bit machine

Hi,I am using a 32bit machine it was running Windows XP and I'm wiping out Windows totally and now i want to install Linux OpenSUSE, I am booting from the CD,

I got an error 17: File not found.

The CD am using is the 32 bit.

What might be the problem now.

32 bit machine

I have tried all that i think it can help, but am still getting the error 17: File not found.
Can you give me better options in this

My worry is that this CD is running on another Machine.

Hi Nthwala, welcome to the forum.
Do you mean you're using the Neosmart ISO download recovery disk ?
If so, it's for putting you into the Vista recovery environment, in order to repair Vista's bootloader or carry out a system restore. If you don't have Vista (and you seem to be saying that you've now got a blank formatted system), then there is nothing for it to do.

Error 17 is a GRUB related issue. Not a EasyBCD or a Vista related issue.

If you are not running Linux then make sure the BIOS is set to boot from that hard drive.

Hi,I am using a 32bit machine it was running Windows XP and I'm wiping out Windows totally and now i want to install Linux OpenSUSE, I am booting from the CD,

I got an error 17: File not found.

The CD am using is the 32 bit.

What might be the problem now.
If this only happens when booting from the CD drive and you're sure the CD itself is fine then perhaps your drive is damaged?

GRUB Error 17 means that it can't find a file. When you boot from a Linux install disc, GRUB is loaded and it attempts to run the Linux installer (either IsoLinux or a live CD environment). If it can't find the file, it'll throw an error 17.

The only reason for it not being able to read the file are a damaged CD or a damaged CD drive.

Back