Add an entry problem

Conker

Okay, I have been following a tutorial for dual booting Windows Vista and Windows XP. This guide is located here:
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm

I encountered this error when following the guide:

IMPORTANT NOTEafter the initial file copy, Windows XP reboots and loads up the GUI-based component of the install. You may get the following error: “A disk read error occurred – press Ctrl-Alt-Del to continue”. This is caused by a corrupt bootloader – click here to see how to fix this problem.

The solution to this is to boot into vista, and use EasyBCD to add an entry for XP so that I can boot into that and continue the installation from there.

However, I am unable to select a drive letter other than the default C:\, the guide says to pick the drive letter that XP is installed on, in my case F:, but I cannot do this. The drop down tab is faded so that you cannot even click it to see the other drives. Does anyone know why this is happening and how it can be solved?

You do not need to select any other drive letter other than C:\ for this entry. You want it to read either C: or Boot.

What you do is move the XP files ontot hte Vista drive and from there it will be allowed to boot. The files in question are the NTLDR, NTDETECT and boot.ini files.

For more information read in our Wiki:

Troubleshooting Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Welcome to NST Conker!

You do not need to select any other drive letter other than C:\ for this entry. You want it to read either C: or Boot.

What you do is move the XP files ontot hte Vista drive and from there it will be allowed to boot. The files in question are the NTLDR, NTDETECT and boot.ini files.

For more information read in our Wiki:

Troubleshooting Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Welcome to NST Conker!

I am confused.

My F:\ has a partly installed XP on it. I cannot find those files you are referring to, the F:\ currently contains folders such as connection wizard, msapps, system32 etc. According to my source I need to boot that drive so that it can install properly.

Yes i understand what your sources say. The files are hidden. That is why you can not see them.

Open My Computer. Go under Tools>Folder Options>View Tab. There click on the setting for show hidden files. Scroll down a bit and you will see another heading. It reads hide system protected files (Recommended). Turn that setting off.

No go back into the XP Drive. In the root of the drive, not in any folder or under any other settings you should now see the files in question. Copy them ot the Vista drive. In the root of the drive jsut like they were for the XP drive.

Now run EasyBCD and select Add Entry and add a entry for XP. If you already have one setup that is fine. Make sure it reads C:\ for the source of the entry.

Now reboot. Select XP and it should boot up for you perfectly and continue with the setup.

Back