Cannot reboot in or reinstall Windows

[FONT=&quot]My PC came as WinXP, with a Vista pending option. Vista was duly installed, and ran for months. I think a recent Windows upgrade caused a problem, and I cannot get back into Windows.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ubuntu live disk boots OK, allowing me access of files. Likewise Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 – though some features I think are lacking due to Vista.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Vista_Recovery_Disc.iso, the Evesham XP media Recovery DVD, and normal boot attempts, only get “NTLDR missing”.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]An XP DVD goes into Setup, loads various files, then hangs on “Windows is starting windows”, world without end.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A Vista DVD goes into loading files, the a BSD (0x0000005C).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Any advice please?
[/FONT]

Hi vinyamar, welcome to NST.
The NTLDR message you're getting at boot time shows that it's XP trying to boot. Something must have overwritten the initial program loader in the MBR, replacing Vista's with XP's.
You should be able to boot from a Vista DVD and select "startup repair" when it's offered.
If you keep getting the same message no matter what medium you have in the DVD tray, it sounds like you've not got the optical device before the HDD in your BIOS boot sequence.
Hit del (or whatever it tells you on the BIOS splash screen) to go into the BIOS at boot, and make sure that you've got floppy (if you have one) and DVD drive, before your first HDD in the boot sequence.

Terry60
Thanks for you post.
I guess you're saying that a virgin install from Vista doesn't use NT Loader. So, I reckon this means that some trace of XP remained after the Vista u/grade, and that it's looking for the missing XP. Could this have been confusion caused by a Windows' u/date?
The boot sequence is CD/DVD before HDD - no floppy drive. Some CD/DVDs do boot OK - eg Linus' Ubuntu - but the Vista install disk doesn't get me to any options, period.
Is there anything I can do, perhaps using access through Ubuntu, to install some files or redirect where NTLDR is looking? I really am walking in the fog.
V777

Correct, BOOTLDR is what the IPL calls for a boot under Vista. NTLDR is what the XP IPL calls (or what Bootldr passes control to, when you boot XP through the Vista BCD in a dual boot). There is no NTLDR in a Vista single boot.
You really have to use a Vista DVD to effect a repair of the Vista Boot. If the recovery disk you're using doesn't give you the options as detailed here
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD
then there must be a problem with it, (did you get it from this site ?)
There are 2 downloads of ISO images available here (see in the red box on the above link). Make sure you use the correct version, X64 or x86 for 64bit and 32bit Vistas respectively, and that you follow the correct instruction in the imbedded links on how to burn a bootable CD from the image.
Or if you know someone with a Vista DVD, you can use that. (perfectly legal, as long as you don't do a full install with their key)

Back