Partition Identifier

Wouldn't mind seeing how one looks when you have something worked out. One thing the DM doesn't do besides showing a healthy partition is identifying a Linux root or swap partition from listing the NTFS primary or extended your drives will have. The image here shows what the DM does display on the Vista/XP/ubuntu 8.04 combo here.

You'll have to excuse the game disk left in one of the optical drives when the image was first captured.

Yeah, great idea, Terry. :smile: I too would like to see such a program in existance, since it will make it that much easier to tell someone with a booting problem, what exactly the entries in their boot.ini, Ubuntu or NeoGrub menu.lst, need to be changed to in order to fix the problem, and will prevent having to second guess anything. :wink: And then all we would need to do, is ask the person to please download the name of the partitition identifier program and post a screenshot of what it contains, which would allow us to tell them on the spot what needs to be changed, in order to see their dual/tri booting work! :joy:

I hope you find a way to achieve this, CG...it would make a wonderful program, and just may be one of your greatest hits. :wink:

-Coolname007

EDIT: And on another note...PC Eye, it looks like you forgot to upload the image you referred to in your post right above this one. :wink: I hope you get it posted, since I would like to see it, because it sounds interesting. Cheers! :smile:

Last edited:
I actually already have this program sitting on my HD right now. I just cannot guarantee the results are 100% compatible with the same numbers in boot.ini and GRUB :\

My system configuration was responsible for breaking most of the early builds of HnS, so it might make a good testbed if you'd like to send me a Beta (or Alpha) to test for you.

lol.. You know best of all just how much confusion there is when it comes to drive letters and numbers across the different systems, Terry :\

Silly Windows.

As soon as I get the chance (read: don't hold your breath; you guys know the drill by now :tongueout:) I'll post a test file here.

Cheers!

I actually already have this program sitting on my HD right now. I just cannot guarantee the results are 100% compatible with the same numbers in boot.ini and GRUB :\

Nice! :joy: So you already created it then, and you're just waiting for testers? I would like to try it, CG, if you don't mind...:wink: I would love to be one of the first to use this great program! :brows:

Cheers.

-Coolname007

If it hasn't already been added you think it might be possible to have the program detect simple misconfigurations such as misplacement of boot.ini so that it is placed in the correct partition since the program can see what is what and which partitions are active? This well make it easier to see where the user's problem is for sure for us, but even better if it could do the simple stuff with the click of a button.

Well, EasyBCD is the boot-management app. This would simply be a partition lister or something.

Back