Repaired Vista MBR and Now XP will not load.

Lamb579

Hi Nerosmart Tech

Welcome to my EasyBCD portion of my Journey in the Multi-boot realm. I started in the Ubuntu Forum and it got me here. A little background about by quest, I had Vista on my machine (HP Tx2000 Tablet, which I do not recommend for this type of stuff) then I added Ubuntu, which worked fine. Later I wanted to try XP because Ubuntu is not all there for an HP Tx2000 and nether is XP but XP is a little better. So I added XP into the Mix, after some issues a good person pointed me to EasyBCD which I used to Re-Write the Vista MBR and I manually added an entry for XP pointing it to the right partition. Now My menu has Vista, XP and Ubuntu. The only one entry in the boot menu that does not work is XP.

Here is my settings list:
There are a total of 3 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2

Name: Microsoft Windows
BCD ID: {50e7f8f7-7acb-11dd-915d-001e683fb485}
Drive: F:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

Entry #3

Name: NeoGrub Bootloader
BCD ID: {50e7f8f8-7acb-11dd-915d-001e683fb485}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\NeoGrub.mbr
The error I get looks some like this:
Windows Failed to start...

Something about repair Windows with installer CD and error info,

in bright white letters:

File: \NTLDR

Info: The Application could not be loaded because... is missing or corrupt.
So my question is, where do I go from here?

Last edited:
Hi Lamb, welcome to NST.
This is the standard failure for new XP dual booters.
Vista's bootmgr must have copies of the 3 XP boot files in its own root, and they tell where to find XP not the BCD.
You need to copy those 3 files (NTLDR, ntdetect.com and boot.ini ) to the Vista root. change the BCD back with EasyBCD to point at C: for XP ( where the boot files are, not where XP is) and edit the C:\boot.ini rdisk and partition values to point to the XP partition.
Its all described in the wiki here and here

Last edited:
Solved: Changed letter to C: for the location of XP's NTLDR.

:nerd: Ok so I was about to recreate the boot.ini file but I was thinking I do not need to because I installed Vista first then XP and then repaired ONLY the Vista MBR with EasyBCD so XP was intact and untouched. What I did was load back into Vista and edit the drive location for XP from F: to C: so now it reads...

[FONT=&quot]There[/FONT] are a total [FONT=&quot]of[/FONT] 3 [FONT=&quot]entries[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]listed[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]in[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]the[/FONT] Vista [FONT=&quot]Bootloader[/FONT].
[FONT=&quot]Bootloader[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Timeout[/FONT]: 30 [FONT=&quot]seconds[/FONT].
[FONT=&quot]Default[/FONT] OS: Microsoft [FONT=&quot]Windows[/FONT] Vista

[FONT=&quot]Entry[/FONT] #1

[FONT=&quot]Name[/FONT]: Microsoft [FONT=&quot]Windows[/FONT] Vista
BCD ID: {[FONT=&quot]current[/FONT]}
[FONT=&quot]Drive[/FONT]: C:\
[FONT=&quot]Bootloader[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Path[/FONT]: \[FONT=&quot]Windows[/FONT]\[FONT=&quot]system[/FONT]32\[FONT=&quot]winload[/FONT].[FONT=&quot]exe[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Windows[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Directory[/FONT]: \[FONT=&quot]Windows[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Entry[/FONT] #2

[FONT=&quot]Name[/FONT]: Microsoft [FONT=&quot]Windows[/FONT]
BCD ID: {50e7f8f7-[FONT=&quot]7acb-11dd[/FONT]-915d-001e683[FONT=&quot]fb[/FONT]485}
[FONT=&quot]Bootloader[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Path[/FONT]: \NTLDR

[FONT=&quot]Entry[/FONT] #3

[FONT=&quot]Name[/FONT]: [FONT=&quot]NeoGrub[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Bootloader[/FONT]
BCD ID: {50e7f8f8-[FONT=&quot]7acb-11dd[/FONT]-915d-001e683[FONT=&quot]fb[/FONT]485}
[FONT=&quot]Bootloader[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Path[/FONT]: \NST\[FONT=&quot]NeoGrub[/FONT].[FONT=&quot]mbr[/FONT]

Every OS loads and my issue is solved with EasyBCD and the steps above.

Thanks Neosmart Technologies!!!

p.s. Sorry I messed up the site name at the beginning of my post.
:smile:

Back