Cannot Sleep for Long Periods

Pengwy

Hi all,

My laptop (Windows 7) can normally both hibernate and sleep, but it cannot sleep for long periods of time (I think it's >30min, not sure). It goes to sleep normally, but when I start it up again it loads the BIOS and shows the boot menu. If I select "Windows 7", the boot manager tells me, "Windows did not shut down successfully" and can only do a normal boot rather than resume from hibernate.

I've had this same problem with Windows Vista/Ubuntu 7.10 on this computer.

I tried doing "bcdedit /deletevalue {85e2c172-d4d6-11dd-8113-d669e932ab3c} inherit" and also "powercfg /hibernate on" as it says in this TechNet forum post.

The setup:

Dell Inspiron 1520 (Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM)
Dual booting Windows 7 x86 and Linux Mint 6 x86 (based on Ubuntu 8.10)
GRUB is installed on the Linux partition
The MBR uses the Vista/7 boot manager

The BCD looks like this:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {85e2c173-d4d6-11dd-8113-d669e932ab3c}
resumeobject {85e2c172-d4d6-11dd-8113-d669e932ab3c}
displayorder {85e2c173-d4d6-11dd-8113-d669e932ab3c}
{85e2c17f-d4d6-11dd-8113-d669e932ab3c}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 10

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {85e2c173-d4d6-11dd-8113-d669e932ab3c}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
recoverysequence {85e2c174-d4d6-11dd-8113-d669e932ab3c}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {85e2c172-d4d6-11dd-8113-d669e932ab3c}
nx OptIn

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {85e2c17f-d4d6-11dd-8113-d669e932ab3c}
device partition=C:
path \NST\nst_grub.mbr
description Linux Mint 6

Resume from Hibernate
---------------------
identifier {85e2c172-d4d6-11dd-8113-d669e932ab3c}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winresume.exe
description Windows Resume Application
locale en-US
filedevice partition=C:
filepath \hiberfil.sys
pae Yes
debugoptionenabled No

This doesn't belong in EasyBCD support since its a Windows issue. First you need to make sure you disable auto-restart on system failure so you can get the error details to start troubleshooting what could be causing it. It sounds as if a software/hardware issue is causing the computer to blue screen of death on you and by default Windows auto-restarts the machine without giving you the oppertunity to view the blue screen.

Well the first thing i would say. Get Windows 7 off of there. It is a Beta OS and not meant to be used as a full time OS. Considering the Beta hasnt started yet and there is no way yet to report bugs your only option would be to try a reinstall.

Being a Beta it could be hardware conflict, driver conflict, software conflict among much more. There is so much that it could be that there is no way to narrow it down.

I get crashes all the time. Some of which i know are not true. But being a BETA it happens. This is why it is never suggested to use a Beta OS as a production OS and only in test situations.

I saw this earlier and simply had to pass it by or laugh out loud! Anything you got ahold of saying it was 7 would be only one portion of an OS and not working full retail product intended for testing like Makaveli213 pointed out there as well as for software developers.

It's still far from being a proven ready to go OS where everything will work normally. Dump 7 and stay with finished working OSs like XP/Vista for Windows. Besides disabling the automatic restart for a blue screen or memory dump review the logs seen in the event viewer since that can also point at things.

Thanks for the useful info.

I was just trying out the Windows 7 Beta for the moment on this computer. However, I was looking for help under Vista since I had the same symptoms under Vista and plan on switching back. If you guys think I should reinstall Vista before trying to fix the problem I would be happy to. :smile:

Even if I disable auto-restart on system failure there is no blue screen or crash dump and the event viewer doesn't show a stop error. What it does show is the following 4 errors:
1. The previous system shutdown at 5:30:28 AM on 12/30/2008 was unexpected.
2. The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
3. Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0
4. Session "" has failed to start with the following error(s) 0xC000000D
5:30:28 AM is the time at which I put the computer to sleep.

Sorry for the wrong forum. I wasn't sure what kind of problem it was and thought that it might be boot sector-related.

The first reference to that error goes back to Windows NT. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/111995

At least the event viewer is revealing something right there you didn't know before. And we are in the General PC Help Center section of the forum here.

The one thing place and thing that might help is looking at the event source as well as the event ID seen when looking in the event viewer since that will usually point to the software or service involved. A reference chart of similar error types is seen at http://www.eventid.net/displayqueue.asp?eventid=0

If it just crashes with no BSOD or Minidump then it is hardware related. Possibly RAM, PSU or a heat issue as well. CPU or Video Card could be to hot. It wouldnt be because of Windows. Almost 90% of auto shut downs with no track left in Windows is hardware related.

I would likely suspect cpu or board related if the system is left on 24/7 since memory faults would tend to cause blue screens. A faulty video card may sound a long and two short beeps when going to start up following the sudden shutdown. Coming out of sleep mode would see only a slight demand for power there since there wouldn't any post tests and other larger demands.

The event id would simply show which program or service was involved at the time the crash occurs when trying to come out of or going into sleep mode. Besides hardware faults of any type looking over the power options to what the system is supposed to do when pressing the power button is another thing. If the power button option is set for shutdown not sleep the system will simply shut off when using the shutdown option on the Start menu.

Back