Can I uninstall EasyBCD?

abhinavk

I have configured Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, Ubuntu 8.10 and Fedora 10 in a triple boot with EasyBCD

I HAVEN'T used NEOGRUB.
I created entries of ubuntu and fedora directly in EasyBCD.

NOW Can I uninstall EasyBCD? Will there be no problem with booting into Linux through Vista Boot Manager after uninstallation of EasyBCD.....

Hard Drive (SATA2 250 GB (230.xx GB available) )configuration

/dev/sda1 contains Vista (100 GB) (NTFS)
/dev/sda2 contains Data (50 GB) (NTFS) mainly windows app setups
/dev/sda3 contains Ubuntu (40 GB) (ext3) (GRUB boot loader on boot sector)
/dev/sda4 contains Fedora (40 GB)(ext3) (GRUB boot loader on boot sector)

Please tell me if I can uninstall EasyBCD now................

Once again I tell you that I haven't installed NeoGRUB..........

You can easily uninstall the EasyBCD tool since the configuration can also be changed manually with the BCD editor included in Windows itself. Or you can simply remove the desktop shortcut created by the installer and go to the Start>programs by leaving it on in case you need to restore a backup of the BCD you can create and store safely.

You can easily uninstall the EasyBCD tool since the configuration can also be changed manually with the BCD editor included in Windows itself. Or you can simply remove the desktop shortcut created by the installer and go to the Start>programs by leaving it on in case you need to restore a backup of the BCD you can create and store safely.

Can I remove the NST folder from C:

EasyBCD is just a utility. A tool to make your life easier. Of course you can uninstall it whenever you want. It doesn't become part of the OS.
But uninstalling it is like throwing away your spanners after servicing your car, to save space in the garage. You never know when you might want it again and it only takes up about 1Mb of disk space.
If you're not sure whether you're using the NST folder, try renaming it and see if your boot is affected.
If nothing happens and you're desperate for the space, go ahead and delete it, otherwise rename it back.
If you're really that tight on HDD space, you should consider investing in another disk while they're so cheap with everyone struggling to keep sales up in these hard times.

It's not even that large to begin with. Basically it's a graphical method of editing the Vista boot loader without a lot of bloat or command line entries to deal with for adding and removing entries there. Plus it won't intrude on any other programs you run since it doesn't tie up system resources.

Actually, if the entries pointing to your linux partitions use neogrub mbr file from c:\NST deleting that would give you non-working entries. So what I would do is copy the NST folder somewhere else, uninstall EasyBCD, and than copy it back if EasyBCD's uninstall proccess got rid of it.

What most don't seem to realize is that you can backup the BCD itself to a separate location and use the EasyBCD tool to see it restored at some later time. The backup feature can make several copies under different names with each for a different configuration.

Backing up the BCD is fine, but deleting the nst_neogrub.mbr file that your linux entries point to would give you non-working entries.

That would hurt! In order to keep the EasyBCD tool on and not be seen on the desktop you can elect to simply delete the desktop shortcut and use the utility from the Start>programs folder there. In fact you can replace the desktop shortcut easy enough later at some point by right clicking to use the create shortcut option, dragging the copy onto the desktop, and then simply renaming it in the properties.

Perhaps i'm missing the point here, but...why not just leave EasyBCD on? :lol: Its not like it has an ugly icon (which some programs do), and is messing up your computer background's appearance. Why not just keep it? It will do no harm, and will certainly do you a lot of good! :smile:

Cheers! :wink:

-Coolname007

EasyBCD can also easily be made portable. Just copy its program directory to wherever you store portable apps and uninstall in case you need it later.

Perhaps i'm missing the point here, but...why not just leave EasyBCD on? :lol: Its not like it has an ugly icon (which some programs do), and is messing up your computer background's appearance. Why not just keep it? It will do no harm, and will certainly do you a lot of good! :smile:

Cheers! :wink:

-Coolname007

Thank you :grinning:

It works out well here regardless of what background I use on the Vista desktop.

You'll still see a few very familiar icons when finding the cursor there. :grinning:

It works out well here regardless of what background I use on the Vista desktop.

Sorry...maybe i shouldn't have made the comment about my background. :smile: I wasn't trying to say it only looks good on that background...rather i was just giving a compliment to Guru for creating an icon that looks good on my background. But i didn't mean for it to sound like i was saying it only looks good on my background, and not just on any background...:wink: Yes, i do believe it would look good on any background, not just mine! :lol:

Cheers! :brows:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
I knew that! :lol: Here I've placed it against several backgrounds and never saw any problem since it has a neutral design and doesn't conflict with any.

I knew that! :lol: Here I've placed it against several backgrounds and never saw any problem since it has a neutral design and doesn't conflict with any.

Nice backgrounds. :smile: I noticed your first one says "Windows 7" though, even though you said it was Vista...:wink: Is it just a pic you copied over from Windows 7 into Vista, or is it actually Windows 7, and you forgot to mention it in your second to last post?

Cheers! :smile:

-Coolname007

No actually that is a jpg file made from a logo screen found at wincustomize.com a site for all types of Windows themes and wallpapers. Others are fractal art. If you run into a release of 7 wallpapers or simply save any picture in jpg or bmp format you can set that as the desktop background.

If you simply run a search for Windows 7 wallpaper you'll come across several pages like the one seen at http://windows7center.com/windows-7-news/windows-7-wallpapers/ or another like http://windows7news.com/windows-7-wallpapers/

I still have Vista backgrounds as well.

Back