Windows Mail

Hi Jack, welcome to NST.
You can with some difficulty according to this. No personal experience though.

Hi Terry,

Thanks for prompt reply. I looked at your suggested link but could only find exporting from outlook express and importing to windows mail but I couldnt find vice versa

Last edited:
If its a .pst file this is simple. Open outlook go to Tools -> Options. Go to the mail accounts tab and click on data files. Than import the file into outlook. If you want to setup an account in outlook to transfer e-mail into the data file you'll need to fire up the e-mail accounts wizard and add a new account, making sure to select the new data file as the location for incoming mail items.

The link I gave you has a great big
export windows mail to outlook express
right at the top, and is written by someone abandoning Vista and going back to XP !!

and contains
With difficulty, you can export the mail as individual .EML files which OE
will import.
I don't know about the accounts, but I doubt they're as easy to transfer.

My System Specs
post_old.gif
11-08-2007 #3 (permalink)

Gary VanderMlen

Re: export windows mail to outlook express
You can export accounts also:
Tools, Accounts, select the account, Export. Do this for each account.
It saves the account info in a .IAF file, which can be imported by OE.

Last edited:
Sorry didn't see the Express at the end of the title there...

I'm guessing your downgrading to XP since Vista's OE IS Windows Mail
It should be possible. After all, the programs are maintained by the same company.

The link I gave you has a great big
export windows mail to outlook express
right at the top, and is written by someone abandoning Vista and going back to XP !!

and contains
With difficulty, you can export the mail as individual .EML files which OE
will import.
I don't know about the accounts, but I doubt they're as easy to transfer.

My System Specs
post_old.gif
11-08-2007 #3 (permalink)

Gary VanderMlen

Re: export windows mail to outlook express
You can export accounts also:
Tools, Accounts, select the account, Export. Do this for each account.
It saves the account info in a .IAF file, which can be imported by OE.

Hi Terry,

Sorry I'm so stupid. At first I clicked on a link to Wikapeadia which defined all the email formats and sorry I picked up the wrong info; but now I've got it!! Many thanks for your trouble

Addendum:

Sorry didn't see the Express at the end of the title there...

I'm guessing your downgrading to XP since Vista's OE IS Windows Mail
It should be possible. After all, the programs are maintained by the same company.
Hi Kairozamorro,

I had a few system crashes in Vista which upset my partner no end!! So she demanded to go back to XP but wanted all her folders tranferred as well. I'm going to have a go at Terry's info right now

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your Vista problems, which surprise me somewhat !
I too did a lot of teeth gnashing and desk thumping in the 1st days of installing Vista, mainly because of the lack of 64 bit driver availability, and terrible difficulty of finding a modem which had x64 capabilities, and MS/ATi joint decision not to provide TV support for my brand-new ATi AIW card.
Once I finally managed to get my legacy apps to work (with some invaluable help from this forum), and bought a new Vista compatible dual digital TV tuner, I've been so pleased with Vista, I almost never have cause to revert to my XP secondary boot.
Vista has never crashed on me in 15 months.
Are you sure you don't have hardware problems (poor connections, inadequate CPU cooling etc, which are causing your crashes ?)
Have you thought of giving your partner XP back with a dual-boot ?
That's what we do here if you need help or advice.
That way you'd see whether it's your Vista install or the PC in general that's unstable.
Good luck anyway, whatever you decide.

Last edited:
I have finally cured my vista instability. I tried to install Vista in an extended partition but that caused all my troubles (I think?) Now that I installed it on the first primary partition it appears to be quite stable - no more blue screens and inexplicable reboots.

Regarding the folders transfer - I could not export to Microsoft Exchange because I received a message that an error occurred while initialising MAPI.

Microsoft Windows mail exported OK but that ended up in OUTLOOK format.

In any case I think that if my Vista installation continues to behave well the email conversion problem becomes acedemic.

Thanks for all your help.

This is a great forum

Sorry that site contained duff information, but glad to hear your Vista has stabilized.
A logical disk inside an extended partition should be fine for Windows OSs from XP SP1 onwards (provided the boot files are all on a primary), but maybe the act of moving to a different (cleaner ?) part of the HDD (or maybe a format before you moved it ?) has removed problems due to bad blocks where it previously sat.)

Back