corrupt/missing ntldr

L

lobster

i have a new comp, which came with Vista on C: drive (SATA drive), and i installed my old hard drive with XP as D: (IDE drive)... after installing EasyBCD 1.52 i can boot to Vista fine, but when i try to boot to XP, i get this error:

file: \ntldr
info: The selected entry could not be loaded because
the application is missing or corrupt.

i have replaced ntldr and netdetect.com from my XP disc, but still get the same error. i have no boot.ini in C:, there is no boot.ini in C:\boot, and the boot.ini in D: looks like this:

Code:
 [boot loader]
 timeout=30
 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
 [operating systems]
 multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

i read one post that said it should be "disk(1)rdisk(0)", but i tried that, and tried "disk(0)rdisk(1)" with no luck... the above is the original config for boot.ini, which seems like it should work, as it worked in the old comp i took it out of...

the EasyBCD settings are:
============================================

Code:
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader TimeOut: 20 seconds.
Default OS: Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name:  Windows Vista
BCD ID:  {current}
Drive:  C:\
Bootloader Path:  \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory:  \Windows

Entry #2

Name:  Windows XP
BCD ID:  {20023844-ba59-11db-9222-001a92293c6b}
Drive:  C:\
Bootloader Path:  \ntldr
Windows Directory:  

Detailed:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {bootmgr}
device                  partition=C:
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {globalsettings}
default                 {current}
displayorder            {current}
                        {20023844-ba59-11db-9222-001a92293c6b}
toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
timeout                 20

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {current}
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows Vista
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence        {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d}
recoveryenabled         Yes
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {9a59816f-a6d5-11db-bdbf-001a922a0d05}
nx                      OptIn

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier              {20023844-ba59-11db-9222-001a92293c6b}
path                    \ntldr
description             Windows XP

any suggestions?

btw, very nice piece of software, and excellent support... many thanks

Welcome to NeoSmart Technologies, lobster; glad you're enjoying EasyBCD.

Try changing the drive for XP from C: to D: (in the settings page, not the add/remove screen)...

That should fix the problem :smile:

ok, i tried that, now when i select XP, the screen goes black, and the comp restarts... tried several times...

should there be a boot.ini in C:\boot?

i should add this: i had an install (not my old hard drive, but a clean install on the new comp) of XP running the other night... i have an LCD monitor, and the XP didn't have the right drivers so it looked pretty rough, but it ran... i just tried to reset the boot order so that my XP partition would boot first, and when it started, i saw a dimmed XP logo splash screen for about 1/2 seconds, then a "blue screen" error for less than 1/2 second, too fast to read, then it rebooted itself... i changed it back to boot to the Vista partition after that... kind of sounds like XP is corrupted?

i really appreciate the help, would sure like to keep XP so i don't have to replace all my software...

===================================
Bootloader TimeOut: 20 seconds.
Default OS: Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name: Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2

Name: Windows XP
BCD ID: {20023844-ba59-11db-9222-001a92293c6b}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \ntldr
Windows Directory:

Hello everyone. I am having the same exact problem. I have Vista Homne Premium installed on a SATA drive and xp pro installed on an older IDE drive. When i set the bios to boot from vista drive i get the boot screen but when i choose xp pro as my os in the boot loader i get the same exact error as the guy above. The only difference is that my xp is not corrupt because when i change the bios to boot from the xp HD first i can use xp with no problem. I dont no what to do.

Bootloader TimeOut: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}

Entry #2

Name: Microsoft Windows
BCD ID: {cbe87148-bb2d-11db-a71f-001731589f1f}
Drive: D:\
Windows Directory:

Hi Guys.

I had exactly the same problem - here's how I fixed it.

Take the drives out and replace them so that the XP drive is the boot drive (either by changing the jumpers so the XP is the master and the Vista the slave - or if your bios lets you specify which one is the boot drive change it to the XP one - no need to remove them in this case.)

Start the computer and it will boot into XP.

Copy the 'Boot' folder and the bootmanager file from the root of the Vista PC drive to the root of the XP one.

Run EASYBCD and use the option to 'Reload the Vista Bootloader' in the 'Manage Bootloader section'.

Check the content in 'View Settings' and there should only be one entry** there for Vista - if that's the case add a second for Windows Xp in the 'Add Remove Entries'section specifying the C: drive as the location.
** If you have a second one in 'View Settings' already, go to 'Add Remove Entries' and make sure that the second one is pointing at the C drive.
(In both cases the Vista entry should be pointing at the second drive - D; or E; or whatever it is.)

This is what mine looks like:
========================
Bootloader TimeOut: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {default}
Drive: E:\

Entry #2

Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {88fe61f3-b9d6-11db-aeac-8000600fe800}
Windows Directory:
==============================

Now if you re-boot you should have the 2 choices and be able to boot into either system.

When you no longer need the Xp drive you should be able to remove it, set the Vista as the master or boot drive and be able to boot straight into it.

It took me a while to figure it out fully because most people dual booting are doing it having installed Vista on a second partition with XP and few seem to have done it successfully with a second drive and clean install of Vista - but it works.

Good Luck.

I'm having the same issue above, and am glad to see a solution.

I have an additional problem, however.

Depsite that fact that I've set Vista (and XP) to show me hidden files and folders, I can't see c:\boot. It's there. . . I've found I can navigate to c:\boot, but it doesn't show up for my to make a copy of (though, I suppose I could do it via DOS command). Even if I run Windows Explorer as administrator.

I've seen this behaviour with other file folders in Vista, but haven't been able to track down how/why it does this - does anyone have any pointers, or shall I just make my copies the old DOS way?

You have to enable viewing of hidden AND system files and folders. They're two separate check marks you have to go through.

Hope this helps.

Computer Guru said:
You have to enable viewing of hidden AND system files and folders. They're two separate check marks you have to go through.

Hope this helps.
Ah, thank goodness, I knew it would be something simple. . . how I missed that checkbox I'll never know.

Don't tell MS, okay? They'll make me turn in my MCSE. :huh:

Back