Dual Boot image to new hdd

jtd07

alright so i had a perfectly fine dual boot with EasyBCD (xp after vista) where i mainly used xp:smile:. i imaged that hdd because it was too small, restored that image on the new hdd as 2 partions like the old... the boot manage loads but only Vista works.

the error in choosing xp is .."Windows could not start because of a computer hardware configuration problem.Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware."

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi jtd07. Welcome to NST.
Take a look at your boot.ini file located (at least it should be !) on the root of your "system" partition as shown in Disk Management in Vista, and verify that the rdisk ( )and partition ( ) values in both lines are correct, and we'll work from there.

-Coolname007

i dont know if this is right but i viewed this from the "edit legacy options" in EasyBcd. the boot.in root says access is denied(im the admin)((ihatevista)).

but this is what it is
rdisk(0)partition(4)

that is for both of them
- thanks!

Ok...so now go to your Disk Management in Vista (Start>Right click on Computer>Select Manage>Click on Disk Management in the left pane), and compare the drives and partitions shown there with the values entered in boot.ini. And then post the differences.

-Coolname007

Last edited:
D is my xp and that is the 1st on the graph so im guessing thats 1 and C is 2nd on the graph thats 2??

idn how the boot.ini is booting from 4 when theres only 2?

D is my xp and that is the 1st on the graph so im guessing thats 1 and C is 2nd on the graph thats 2??

idn how the boot.ini is booting from 4 when theres only 2?

Simple answer...its not. :smile: If Disk Management is only showing two partitions (is it just one drive?), then the partition value for XP would most likely be either 1 or 2. You should try either one, until you find which one is right. If there's another drive, then you might have to change the rdisk value as well. I think that's it. :wink:

Let me know if it works with either value (make sure to change it in both lines, btw).

-Coolname007

Last edited:
ill change em now. thanks man. this is hour 4 bugging with this. hehe

Addendum:

Thanks Coolname007 worked like a charm. Keep doing your thing!

Last edited:
Back