Registry transfer/copier?

I wondering if there is such a thing. What i have is a tri-boot system (Win7, Vista and XP Pro). I have all my OSs on one hard drive and i have a second for games and some applications. What i was wondering is, if i installed a game or app through one OS, how do i get the registrys in the other 2 to run the same app with out taking the time to reinstall over the top? I know absolutly nothing on registry editing. I just had to do a reformat of my XP install and i don't want to take the time of having to reinstall everything if there is an easier way.

Is there something out there thats like that and that's free?

You could export and import the affected registry keys from one OS to the other, but you can't copy most things over since a lot of stuff are OS-dependent and will totally screw your PC over if you do a full export/import.

You could export and import the affected registry keys from one OS to the other, but you can't copy most things over since a lot of stuff are OS-dependent and will totally screw your PC over if you do a full export/import.

You know...I've been wondering the same thing myself. How 'bout from XP to Vista, or vice versa? Most programs that can run on the one can also run on the other.

-Coolname007

Like I just said, you can't import/export registry keys without ruining your PC.

Actually you said "You could export and import the affected registry keys from one OS to the other, but you can't copy most things over since a lot of stuff are OS-dependent and will totally screw your PC over if you do a full export/import." :smile: So from what it sounded like, you were saying you could export/import the "affected" registry keys, if the OS being transferred to was the same (or similar) as the one being transferred from. That's just how I took it...

-Coolname007

I tried moving my favourite photo manager from XP to a laptop in that way (not to save time, but because my dad had "tidied up" some apps I lent him to evaluate, and lost my installation CD, preventing me from just reinstalling it)
Despite copying every single registry entry for the product and all of the files and folders, it was a notable failure.
I don't know of any utility that will do it, but I can tell you from experience, that if you've still got the installation media, it'll be a lot faster just to accept your fate, and start the reinstall process.
It also gives you the opportunity to say "Just how often have I used that piece of freeware ? Do I really need it ? Can I even remember what it's supposed to do - why I installed it in the first place ? and start with a much leaner, faster system.

I don't know of any utility that will do it, but I can tell you from experience, that if you've still got the installation media, it'll be a lot faster just to accept your fate, and start the reinstall process.
It also gives you the opportunity to say "Just how often have I used that piece of freeware ? Do I really need it ? Can I even remember what it's supposed to do - why I installed it in the first place ? and start with a much leaner, faster system.

You know, Terry...I think the reason why Crivitz Chris posted this in the "Ideas and Wishlists" forums to begin with was because he didn't know if such a utility existed, and most likely thought it didn't, and so was posting so Computer Guru could *create* such an utility...:wink: Just because such a program might not exist at the moment doesn't mean someone might not be able to write such a program...

-Coolname007

I very seldom notice the forum that things are posted in (I just use "new posts" and work through the list chronologically), so that point was rather lost on me.
(Some moderator huh ! I'm supposed to police that sort of thing I suppose, but I'm not used to the role yet)

Yeah i figured that there was a program like that was around. I didn't really know where to post the topic. More of a wish list.

Yeah i was kinda figuring that i'd have to reinstall everything all over on top of each other.

Back