iReboot sticks to a selected OS

octaedro7

Hi,
Perhaps somebody can explain me how iReboot is supposed to work:
I'm dual booting 2 Vistas x64. I have EasyBCD and iReboot installed on both.
I choose an OS to reboot in. When I restart, I boot into that OS as expected. When I restart again, I go straight into the mentioned OS again.
I thought that iReboot only directs the reboot process once, letting the default OS to boot subsequently.
Am I right? If so, it's not doing it. If I'm not, then how can you control whether iReboot will run permanently or once?

Help greatly appreciated!

iReboot installs with the default action of leaving the "start" button as Microsoft intended. (i.e. It boots the default system).
If you wan't to change the behaviour so that it reboots the current system, there are parameters in its config file (in the iReboot folder) you can modify.
I'm only an ex-user, because it's not yet compatible with HnS (which I use), so I'm afraid it's too long ago to remember the exact mod(s) which you need to make, but if you look back through the iReboot threads you should find instructions somewhere if the contents of the config file confuse you.
(at least that was the situation last time I was a user)

I'm also a little confused about the iReboot program. :smile: It says in EasyBCD when I hover my mouse over the iReboot button in "Useful Utilities" that the program sits in the taskbar, but I've already downloaded and installed it, but see no icon in the taskbar for iReboot. Am I supposed to simply use the Restart button in the Start menu, and this will give me the option (in theory...) to reboot into another OS? Or do I use the "Restart Computer" feature in EasyBCD under the Tools menu?

-Coolname007

Last edited:
There should be a notification area icon to right click on Cool. (police hat)
I don't know what the effect of running it will be when you're using Bing though.
I'm not able to use it because of the fact that it's unaware of the existence of HnS.
I expect similar confusion will arise if other non-Vista boot managers are in control.
CG will need to confirm/deny.

There should be a notification area icon to right click on Cool. (police hat)
I don't know what the effect of running it will be when you're using Bing though.
I'm not able to use it because of the fact that it's unaware of the existence of HnS.
I expect similar confusion will arise if other non-Vista boot managers are in control.
CG will need to confirm/deny.

You mean there should be a police hat icon in the taskbar? :S Strange, because there's not...

-Coolname007

Last edited:
During setup you have the option of running iReboot at startup, looks like you didn't pick that option, Cool.

Run iReboot from the NST folder in the Programs menu.

During setup you have the option of running iReboot at startup, looks like you didn't pick that option, Cool.

Run iReboot from the NST folder in the Programs menu.

You mean when it gives you the option to "Continue"? I pushed that, but nothing happened. I looked in the NST folder in the Programs menu, but iReboot wasn't even in there! :wtf: I tried it multiple times, but same result each time. For whatever reason, it appears to be downloading, but not installing...

-Coolname007

Last edited:

Ok...affirmative. I'll try that, and let you know whether or not it works. :smile:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Ahh...now that's more like it. :smile: It now installed ok, and the taskbar icon now shows, and everything appears to be working ok (haven't tried rebooting into another OS, yet, though...).

So any idea why it wouldn't install correctly from within EasyBCD? And do you know if having another non-Vista bootloader (i.e. BootIT NG's) in the MBR will affect whether or not it works? And any harm in trying it?

-Coolname007

Last edited:
CG, if you check your e-mail a few weeks back I sent you a message in regard to nst downloader. With 2.0 anyway it downloads the utility you want, but doesn't auto-launch its installer. This was with build 40 (haven't tested it in 52). Tried this with tweakvi anyway. Cool probably let nst downloader get iReboot and when he didn't see it do anything after, assumed it was installed.

I'll try to report to the beta address list for now on if thats where it should've went.

CG, if you check your e-mail a few weeks back I sent you a message in regard to nst downloader. With 2.0 anyway it downloads the utility you want, but doesn't auto-launch its installer. This was with build 40 (haven't tested it in 52). Tried this with tweakvi anyway. Cool probably let nst downloader get iReboot and when he didn't see it do anything after, assumed it was installed.

I'll try to report to the beta address list for now on if thats where it should've went.

You're probably right. Yes, I do believe indeed NST Downloader is what grabbed iReboot for me, but I guess I thought it was done after clicking on the "Continue" button, because nothing happened except the dialog box closed. :wink: It would be nice if CG could incorporate a way to auto-start the installer of apps after downloading them. It would certainly make it easier. :smile:

Cheers,

-Coolname007

If you go to your bin directory under program files...\easybcd you should find the installer there that you than should be able to launch to install iReboot.

If you go to your bin directory under program files...\easybcd you should find the installer there that you than should be able to launch to install iReboot.

Probably so...but there's no point now that I already downloaded it from that link CG gave, and installed it that way. :smile: What's the point of installing it twice? :wink:

-Coolname007

EDIT: And I just looked in that folder, and there's no installer for iReboot...just one for TweakVI.

Well thats where I found tweakvi any way after downloading it...
Not to worry though, I'm sure its just a simple mistake that will be fixed if it hasn't already. They happen quite easily when your staring at a couple hundred, or in EasyBCD's case, a couple thousand lines of code trying to make sense of it all.

Not to worry though, I'm sure its just a simple mistake that will be fixed if it hasn't already. They happen quite easily when your staring at a couple hundred, or in EasyBCD's case, a couple thousand lines of code trying to make sense of it all.

No doubt. :smile: I wouldn't want to be in CG's shoes. I imagine that's tough. :wink:

Funny how I've never seen it from that perspective before...I guess we consumers are just too used to seeing the finished product, and don't think of the many hours and loss of sleep it probably took for the developers to create it. Must be tough to be a programmer, especially one for others who depend on your products...

-Coolname007

Try 16 thousand lines of code and you'd be closer the mark :smile:

Thanks for your patience and understanding guys - this is indeed a bug and I'll have it fixed in the next build.

Back