Vista Boot/Start up problems.

Awege1980

Hi, I was having problems with Vista starting up on my Toshiba Satellite... It would constantly fail to boot then go to start up repair automaticaly, the system would restore itself and start up normally then once i shut the system down and restarted it would have the same problem.Also it would occasionally shut down on its own accord if left idle for periods of time (plugged into mains always) I read through some of the forums on this site and forund out about the ISO download for 32bit systems. After downloading this and burning it with imgburn i rebooted and ran from the cd i had created, i chose "Repair Windows" and a problem was found(cant remember what it was but it seems to have rectified the original problem) The only thing is now when i start the system up i get a dos type screen titled Boot Manager... this screen has a countdown timer next to the default option of runnin windows vista and another option of running windows vista repaired (this is not word for word exact what is written) How do i make my system start up as it did before without getting this option screen?
Thanks for a very informative site.

Hello Awege1980, welcome to NST

EasyBCD -> Add/Remove entries -> Delete entry that doesn't have the "(recovered)" part in it. Now go to change settings and rename the remaining entry if you dont want the recovered part to be in it (guess MS couldn't think of a better way to indicate this...)

Now the menu should not appear anymore when you have one entry, but if it does, go to change settings and put the timeout at 0 or issue the following command in the command prompt:

Code:
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no

Hello everyone!

I have a similar issue so I thought I would post it here rather than start a new topic.

My Vista startup problems started yesterday. Upon start up I kept getting the 'start up repair' which would just run the 'system recovery options' constantly - literally all through the night without any result. Or if I chose 'start normally' I would simply get a black screen.

I read all about the issues on NeoSmart (THANK YOU!), downloaded the ISO with uTorrent, burned it with imgburn and booted from the disk I created, with the instructions on this page: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD

HOWEVER - I get to the Windows Vista screen in step 1 which gives me a choice to Install or Repair. When I choose Repair as directed, it just go right to the same 'system recovery options' screen which runs for hours. I don't even get the system recovery tool options screen in step 2, so I can't try the command prompt paths provided as backup in step 3 and 4.

Alternatively I tried the 'install' option instead of repair. This prompted me for my product key which I entered correctly from the sticker on the bottom of the laptop. To this I received a message that it could not be confirmed - dead end.

Any ideas? Anyone? Bueller? :smile:

Thanks!
CC.

Hello cate,

Our recovery disc isnt for re-installation. If you cannot get to the screens on the wiki page or boot up into safe mode (F8 as you boot computer), you well need to rescue your data with a live linux disc (such as Ubuntu), wipe out all the partitions on the drive with gparted or another tool, and than use your recovery disc/installation media (our recovery disc can't be used for installs) to reformat and install Windows.

Last edited:
i need help....the system wont validate my product key
the key came with the computer...it is on the sticker under the laptop

Addendum:

nvmturns out i was using a home premium key on windows vista 32xbit (84x edition)...so i think

Last edited:
Hi, I was having problems with Vista starting up on my Toshiba Satellite... It would constantly fail to boot then go to start up repair automaticaly, the system would restore itself and start up normally then once i shut the system down and restarted it would have the same problem.Also it would occasionally shut down on its own accord if left idle for periods of time (plugged into mains always) I read through some of the forums on this site and forund out about the ISO download for 32bit systems. After downloading this and burning it with imgburn i rebooted and ran from the cd i had created, i chose "Repair Windows" and a problem was found(cant remember what it was but it seems to have rectified the original problem) The only thing is now when i start the system up i get a dos type screen titled Boot Manager... this screen has a countdown timer next to the default option of runnin windows vista and another option of running windows vista repaired (this is not word for word exact what is written) How do i make my system start up as it did before without getting this option screen?
Thanks for a very informative site.

I too had the same problem as you, I downloaded the Imgburn program which was very small and extremely easy to use. My burning program is Nero but I recommend Imgburn to add the .iso to a CD-R disc.

I chose 'Repair Windows' as my computer has pre-installed Vista and no recovery disc, it ran its course and repaired what ever was wrong. Rebooted back into the BIOS and changed the boot setup back to Hard Drive as the 'Primary' and CD Drive as the secondary. Rebooted again and hey presto it was back up and running :grinning:

What I found was that ALL my files and programs were gone !! - This wasn't a problem personally for me as I backed up most of them on DVD-R's and an external drive. Whether the repair wiped the whole contents I'm not sure but what I can say is BACKUP YOUR DOCUMENTS, FOLDER, FILES, PROGRAMS regularly in case this happens to you again.

Addendum:

i need help....the system wont validate my product key
the key came with the computer...it is on the sticker under the laptop

Use this small program to help you out, I use it and it will show you the code and serial numbers for any program or operating system you have on your computer/laptop

Link: SIW | Download

The Wizard :smile:

Last edited:
Back