Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP doesnt boot, NTDETECT failed

Default XP doesnt boot, NTDETECT failed

I have Windows 7 RC on C:
    And Windows XP SP3 on D:

I've added Windows XP using Easy BCD to Windows 7 bootloader. I also changed the drive letter from C: to D: on "Change Settings" in EasyBCD.

I start my PC it gives the option to load Windows 7 or Microsoft Windows XP. After i select XP i get a error NTDETECT failed.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by xpro; May 28th, 2009 at 09:43 AM.

Hello xpro, welcome to NST.
    First of all, I need to mention that its easier to post screenshots here using the "Manage Attachments" feature in the new post area, when you make a new post on this forums, which you will see if you scroll down on that page. Its generally easier than using external sites like imageshack, and then posting links to them, which as you can see, didn't exactly work...
    Your problem is you adjusted the XP entry with "Change Settings". You were not supposed to do that! EasyBCD points the BCD entry at the "active" "system" partition (which you can find out which one that is from Disk Management), not necessarily the XP partition, which is where the BCD entry needs to be pointed. Boot.ini is what will point at the XP partition.
    So go ahead, delete the XP entry, get EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, and use it to re-add the XP entry, this time making sure to not change where its pointed. When you add the new entry with EasyBCD 2.0 beta version, it will give you the option to allow it to auto-configure boot.ini, so you wont have to. So, at that point, hit Yes.
    Next, copy over NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the XP partition into the "system" partition. (Note: with Win 7, it is possible the "system" partition is a hidden partition which you will need to first give a drive letter before you copy the files over)
    Then you will have a dual-boot.

Jake

The DARK knight. The knight of DARKNESS.
    SHADOW
    killer. The NINJA, master of darkness, stealth and invisibility.
    Jake Johnson

Having dual-booting problems? Have a read of the following links to help you better accomplish your goal:

1. PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING WITH A PROBLEM | 2. Steps for Multibooting | 3. Multibooters - Understanding the Multiboot Process

I deleted the XP entry and re-made it with EasyBCD 2.0 Beta. I left the setting as it is and let EasyBCD auto-configure boot.ini.

I dont understand the second part. i have NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM in my D:/ drive.

"Next, copy over NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the XP partition into the "system" partition. (Note: with Win 7, it is possible the "system" partition is a hidden partition which you will need to first give a drive letter before you copy the files over)
    Then you will have a dual-boot."

Thanks for the fast response Jake

You need to give the 100 MB "System Reserved" partition a drive letter in Disk Management (just right-click on the partition, and select "Change Drive Letters and Paths"). Then copy over NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM into the root of that partition, because it is "system" and "active".
    Then you should have a dual-boot.

SHADOW
    Jake Johnson

Having dual-booting problems? Have a read of the following links to help you better accomplish your goal:

1. PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING WITH A PROBLEM | 2. Steps for Multibooting | 3. Multibooters - Understanding the Multiboot Process

Thanks Jake!!! Dual boot working now.

No problem. Glad to help.
    Let us know if you have any more questions.

SHADOW
    Jake Johnson

Default Something is missing to me

Quote Originally Posted by Coolname007 View Post
    You need to give the 100 MB "System Reserved" partition a drive letter in Disk Management (just right-click on the partition, and select "Change Drive Letters and Paths"). Then copy over NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM into the root of that partition, because it is "system" and "active".
    Then you should have a dual-boot.
    Hi, hope you continue reading this post.

I had the same problem, XP installed in drive C, then in another partition (D) installed Windows 7.
    When trying in dual boot windows 7, it runs perfect, but xp "NTLDR failed".
    I just installed EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, add xp entry like you said but i don´t know how to do rest, where i have to copy NTLDR and NTDETECT:COM?

If i leave like this and select xp entry the system restart....

Thanks and wait for your reply!!!!

--------------------------------------

Looking again and again your instruction finally found!!!!

- right clik on "My PC"
    - select option "Administrate"
    - in left panel select "Disk Management"
    - right clik onpartition where xp was installed and activated!!!!!
    Last edited by maradios; July 27th, 2009 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Solved!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maradios View Post
    Hi, hope you continue reading this post.

I had the same problem, XP installed in drive C, then in another partition (D) installed Windows 7.
    When trying in dual boot windows 7, it runs perfect, but xp "NTLDR failed".
    I just installed EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, add xp entry like you said but i don´t know how to do rest, where i have to copy NTLDR and NTDETECT:COM?

If i leave like this and select xp entry the system restart....

Thanks and wait for your reply!!!!

--------------------------------------

Looking again and again your instruction finally found!!!!

- right clik on "My PC"
    - select option "Administrate"
    - in left panel select "Disk Management"
    - right clik onpartition where xp was installed and activated!!!!!
    Hello maradios, welcome to NST.
    Don't change the "active" flag, or you will no longer be able to boot into Win 7. Set the previous "active" partition back to active in Disk Management, and then follow these instructions:

• Download EasyBCD 2.0 Beta from here.
    • Install it.
    • Start it up, and go to the Add/Remove Entries section.
    • Click on the Windows tab.
    • Select ".../Nt/XP" in the Type drop-down menu, give the new entry a name (such as "Windows XP"), and click the Add Entry button.
    • You will get a message asking you if you want to let if auto-configure boot.ini for you, and place NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM in the root of the "system" partition. Accept the offer.
    • You will now have a dual-boot.

Cheers.

Jake

SHADOW
    Jake Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Coolname007 View Post
    Hello xpro, welcome to NST.
    First of all, I need to mention that its easier to post screenshots here using the "Manage Attachments" feature in the new post area, when you make a new post on this forums, which you will see if you scroll down on that page. Its generally easier than using external sites like imageshack, and then posting links to them, which as you can see, didn't exactly work...
    Your problem is you adjusted the XP entry with "Change Settings". You were not supposed to do that! EasyBCD points the BCD entry at the "active" "system" partition (which you can find out which one that is from Disk Management), not necessarily the XP partition, which is where the BCD entry needs to be pointed. Boot.ini is what will point at the XP partition.
    So go ahead, delete the XP entry, get EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, and use it to re-add the XP entry, this time making sure to not change where its pointed. When you add the new entry with EasyBCD 2.0 beta version, it will give you the option to allow it to auto-configure boot.ini, so you wont have to. So, at that point, hit Yes.
    Next, copy over NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the XP partition into the "system" partition. (Note: with Win 7, it is possible the "system" partition is a hidden partition which you will need to first give a drive letter before you copy the files over)
    Then you will have a dual-boot.

Jake
    Thanks!!! You are a godsend!!

I wiped out my Vista partition and installed W7 Home Premium and was not able to boot into XP; this post got me back on target.

Thanks again!

Hello raven, welcome to NST.
    Glad you found my post useful.

Let us know if you have any more problems.

SHADOW
    Jake Johnson

Thanks alot Coolname007..!

Found my way here via google. After spending considerable of time with the 1.7.? version, I tried the 2.0 beta; and omg, it did it per auto and now I can finaly dualboot w7 and xp

Wow!
    My simple post above seems to be helping many people, despite the fact that those features of 2.0 Beta are pretty much well known by now. I do wish CG would post a link to the beta downloads page from the 1.7.2. download page. though, so it will be easier for new users to find.

You're very welcome akkeman.

SHADOW
    Jake Johnson

Yeah, I think it's about ready for that now.
    Mahmoud Al-Qudsi, Director

I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages

Follow us on twitter @neosmart or on Facebook!
    Like us on facebook!

Hiya all, Yes I too had the NTDETECT FAILED message and then I found this thread :-) I installed the beta and then added the operating systems ( note that I did not get the message asking about auto-configuring boot ) but never the less it just all works with no problems :-)

I just wanted to say that this is an awesome peice of software ! it is superb ! and saves me a hell of a lot of hassle and problems, it is just PERFECT for my system :-) it is such a simple solution to what would otherwise be a complete nightmare for someone like me.

I LOVE IT ! ! Well done guys :-) :-) :-) :-)

Addendum:

I have also made a donation :-)

1 - to change my status from '1-Post Wonder' lol and
    2 - Because you deserve it, and
    3 - Its worth a hell of a lot more to me :-)

Nice one Guys
    Last edited by Mr Dee; January 1st, 2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Automagically-merged double-post.

Hiya MrDee

Thanks for the donation and for your kind words!
    Mahmoud Al-Qudsi, Director

I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages

Follow us on twitter @neosmart or on Facebook!
    Like us on facebook!