XP doesnt boot, NTDETECT failed

xpro

I have Windows 7 RC on C:
And Windows XP SP3 on D:
my.php

I've added Windows XP using Easy BCD to Windows 7 bootloader. I also changed the drive letter from C: to D: on "Change Settings" in EasyBCD.
my.php
my.php

I start my PC it gives the option to load Windows 7 or Microsoft Windows XP. After i select XP i get a error NTDETECT failed.
my.php

my.php

Attachments

• EasyBCD.jpg
    EasyBCD.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG00379.jpg
    IMG00379.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 18
  • harddrives.jpg
    harddrives.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hello xpro, welcome to NST.
First of all, I need to mention that its easier to post screenshots here using the "Manage Attachments" feature in the new post area, when you make a new post on this forums, which you will see if you scroll down on that page. Its generally easier than using external sites like imageshack, and then posting links to them, which as you can see, didn't exactly work...:wink:
Your problem is you adjusted the XP entry with "Change Settings". You were not supposed to do that! :brows: EasyBCD points the BCD entry at the "active" "system" partition (which you can find out which one that is from Disk Management), not necessarily the XP partition, which is where the BCD entry needs to be pointed. Boot.ini is what will point at the XP partition. :wink:
So go ahead, delete the XP entry, get EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, and use it to re-add the XP entry, this time making sure to not change where its pointed. When you add the new entry with EasyBCD 2.0 beta version, it will give you the option to allow it to auto-configure boot.ini, so you wont have to. So, at that point, hit Yes.
Next, copy over NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the XP partition into the "system" partition. (Note: with Win 7, it is possible the "system" partition is a hidden partition which you will need to first give a drive letter before you copy the files over)
Then you will have a dual-boot.

Jake

I deleted the XP entry and re-made it with EasyBCD 2.0 Beta. I left the setting as it is and let EasyBCD auto-configure boot.ini.

I dont understand the second part. i have NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM in my D:/ drive.

"Next, copy over NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the XP partition into the "system" partition. (Note: with Win 7, it is possible the "system" partition is a hidden partition which you will need to first give a drive letter before you copy the files over)
Then you will have a dual-boot."

Thanks for the fast response Jake

You need to give the 100 MB "System Reserved" partition a drive letter in Disk Management (just right-click on the partition, and select "Change Drive Letters and Paths"). Then copy over NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM into the root of that partition, because it is "system" and "active".
Then you should have a dual-boot.

Something is missing to me

You need to give the 100 MB "System Reserved" partition a drive letter in Disk Management (just right-click on the partition, and select "Change Drive Letters and Paths"). Then copy over NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM into the root of that partition, because it is "system" and "active".
Then you should have a dual-boot.

Hi, hope you continue reading this post.

I had the same problem, XP installed in drive C, then in another partition (D) installed Windows 7.
When trying in dual boot windows 7, it runs perfect, but xp "NTLDR failed".
I just installed EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, add xp entry like you said but i don´t know how to do rest, where i have to copy NTLDR and NTDETECT:COM?

If i leave like this and select xp entry the system restart.... :frowning:

Thanks and wait for your reply!!!!

--------------------------------------

Looking again and again your instruction finally found!!!!

- right clik on "My PC"
- select option "Administrate"
- in left panel select "Disk Management"
- right clik onpartition where xp was installed and activated!!!!!

Last edited:
Hi, hope you continue reading this post.

I had the same problem, XP installed in drive C, then in another partition (D) installed Windows 7.
When trying in dual boot windows 7, it runs perfect, but xp "NTLDR failed".
I just installed EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, add xp entry like you said but i don´t know how to do rest, where i have to copy NTLDR and NTDETECT:COM?

If i leave like this and select xp entry the system restart.... :frowning:

Thanks and wait for your reply!!!!

--------------------------------------

Looking again and again your instruction finally found!!!!

- right clik on "My PC"
- select option "Administrate"
- in left panel select "Disk Management"
- right clik onpartition where xp was installed and activated!!!!!
Hello maradios, welcome to NST.
Don't change the "active" flag, or you will no longer be able to boot into Win 7. Set the previous "active" partition back to active in Disk Management, and then follow these instructions:

• Download EasyBCD 2.0 Beta from here.
  • Install it.
  • Start it up, and go to the Add/Remove Entries section.
  • Click on the Windows tab.
  • Select ".../Nt/XP" in the Type drop-down menu, give the new entry a name (such as "Windows XP"), and click the Add Entry button.
  • You will get a message asking you if you want to let if auto-configure boot.ini for you, and place NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM in the root of the "system" partition. Accept the offer.
  • You will now have a dual-boot.

Cheers.

Jake

Hello xpro, welcome to NST.
First of all, I need to mention that its easier to post screenshots here using the "Manage Attachments" feature in the new post area, when you make a new post on this forums, which you will see if you scroll down on that page. Its generally easier than using external sites like imageshack, and then posting links to them, which as you can see, didn't exactly work...:wink:
Your problem is you adjusted the XP entry with "Change Settings". You were not supposed to do that! :brows: EasyBCD points the BCD entry at the "active" "system" partition (which you can find out which one that is from Disk Management), not necessarily the XP partition, which is where the BCD entry needs to be pointed. Boot.ini is what will point at the XP partition. :wink:
So go ahead, delete the XP entry, get EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, and use it to re-add the XP entry, this time making sure to not change where its pointed. When you add the new entry with EasyBCD 2.0 beta version, it will give you the option to allow it to auto-configure boot.ini, so you wont have to. So, at that point, hit Yes.
Next, copy over NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the XP partition into the "system" partition. (Note: with Win 7, it is possible the "system" partition is a hidden partition which you will need to first give a drive letter before you copy the files over)
Then you will have a dual-boot.

Jake

Thanks!!! You are a godsend!!

I wiped out my Vista partition and installed W7 Home Premium and was not able to boot into XP; this post got me back on target.

Thanks again!

Wow! :smile:
My simple post above seems to be helping many people, despite the fact that those features of 2.0 Beta are pretty much well known by now. I do wish CG would post a link to the beta downloads page from the 1.7.2. download page. though, so it will be easier for new users to find.

You're very welcome akkeman.

Hiya all, Yes I too had the NTDETECT FAILED message and then I found this thread :smile: I installed the beta and then added the operating systems ( note that I did not get the message asking about auto-configuring boot ) but never the less it just all works with no problems :smile:

I just wanted to say that this is an awesome peice of software ! it is superb ! and saves me a hell of a lot of hassle and problems, it is just PERFECT for my system :smile: it is such a simple solution to what would otherwise be a complete nightmare for someone like me.

I LOVE IT ! ! Well done guys :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Addendum:

I have also made a donation :smile:

1 - to change my status from '1-Post Wonder' lol and
2 - Because you deserve it, and
3 - Its worth a hell of a lot more to me :smile:

Nice one Guys

Last edited:
Problems

Ok, my situation: I have bought a new PC with Win 7 pre-installed on the hard drive. I have an old hard drive from an old PC with XP and a ton of my stuff on it, which I want to put in my new PC and have the option to dual boot either Win 7 or XP.

I've installed Easy BCD, got the NTDETECT error, came to this thread, followed the instructions. The NTDETECT error went away, but my system will not boot XP and VERY briefly flashes what I captured in image 293 (attached), followed by a complete system reboot. That may not be the whole message as it flashed up and disappeared extremely fast meaning my camera did not catch the bottom of the message. If I choose to start XP in Safe Mode then a number of command lines pop-up, pausing on the last one shown in image 295, then followed by the blue screen, then the PC completely reboots. I don't know if these screenshots mean anything to anyone here.

I've also attached a screenshot of my disk manager from Win 7 (Image 294). This shows my XP hard drive (disk 0), and my Win 7 hard Drive (disk 1) - which is partitioned into System reserved (which I renamed B), and the main portion C. You will notice that it says "Boot" under C rather than B, which I thought was odd as you mentioned that it should be booting from B.

Regardless, I have attempted putting the NTdetect.com and NTLDR files into both B and C (Just in the location C:\) with the same result. I have also tried allocating the XP boot drive in EasyBCD to "auto-detect", B, C and E, to no end.

If you have no answers to these problems could you please confirm where the NTdetect.com and NTLDR files should be placed. And if the folder "NST" should be spawning in the directories where those files are pasted.

Any help would be fantastic, thank you!

Alan.

Attachments

• Image0293.jpg
    Image0293.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Image0294.jpg
    Image0294.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Image0295.jpg
    Image0295.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
You can't just lift an OS from one PC and expect it to boot in another.
All the address structure and driver set which were custom-built for the original PC will be wrong.
At the very least, you'll need to "repair install" XP, so that it can tailor itself to its new environment.
If the XP came pre-installed in an earlier PC (you didn't install it yourself from a retail purchase of an XP CD), then it will have an OEM licence and the EULA precludes use on any hardware other than that with which it was sold.
Even if you had an installation disc with a universal driver-set, (not likely the OEM provided you with anything other than the specific set of drivers for the old hardware), and you were able to repair install, Microsoft would not validate any attempt to activate the OS on new hardware.

Back