"www.msn.com" is not set up to establish a connection on port "World Wide Web service

n8rg8r00

hey everybody, i could use some assistance
i have a dell inspiron 1501, running windows vista home basic
i am running norton 360, and using IE v7

last night, i allowed my computer to install the "important and recommended" updates...i passed on the optional updates
since allowing these updates to be installed, i cannot get onto the internet using that computer....connection is fine, i'm currently on a different pc using the same router....
my computer says it is connected to the internet, but the following msg. appears as a result of it's diagnostics check:
www.msn.com is not set up to establish a connectin on port "world wide web service (http)" w/ this computer

???????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so, as recommended by someone from the "geek squad", i did a google search for that...
came up w/ a few postings on this forum site...
tried those options, but nothing seemed to work....
maybe i just didn't see the right one?
i saw one on uninstalling norton 360 because there is an issue w/ a firewall...
i couldn't even get my norton to launch for me tonight!!!!!!!!!!!although it says it is running properly....
...another thread said to make an adjustment to the lan setting in my connection tab...

well....i tried to follow those recommendations...and read a few others....
honestly, this is over my head....although it shouldn't be...
i mean, all i did was let the computer do what it told me it needed to do (i did change that setting to ask me before automatically updating)

the guy from the "geek squad" told me it most likely is one of their "quick fixes" because an update changed a setting or configuration setting...most likely (i didn't have my computer w/ me when i spoke to him about my problem)

but, i don't think i should have to pay for a "quick fix"....and i'm sure i can't send that bill to microsoft....all updates i installed last night were from microsoft

...in fact, this happened about a month ago....same problem after installing updates....
in the end, i called dell....paid bout $50 to have him talk me through going back to a restore point...which, if i understood correctly, more or less set my computer back up to the way it was prior to installing those updates...
all worked good after that....he told me next time to look at the list of updates and maybe not let some be updated...
????????????!!!!!!!!!
so, i waited a month....then decided after looking and seeing i had 20 "important and recommended" updates available, i thought...."i guess i should try again...they are from microsoft, and it tells me i should"

now, one last thing i tried....
i uninstalled most of the updates i installed last night...seeing if that would fix the problem...
out of 20, i was able to uninstall 16 of them....4 wouldn't let me....
this did not fix anything...
at this point, i'm afraid i might do more harm than good if i just keep poking around here and there checking boxes, unchecking boxes, etc.....

i appologize for the rant...
i'm definitely not as computer savvy as a lot of others, but, i'm no dummie...
actually, i'm a licensed architect about to return to school to study photography in grad school...
:smile:
i'm just not a computer science major....

anyone have any thoughts?, and or similar problems w/ good results?
or, should i just go pay for a quick fix for something i didn't break

thanks everybody!!!!!!!!!!
n8r

n8r, welcome to NST

MSN the only site you tried? I'm having some problems on my end at the moment as well accessing MSN.

I would get rid of Norton completely. Norton itself is a virus as far as I'm concerned. I perfer McAfee myself but I'm sure some others around here can recommend good free alternitives.

Let's start out by opening a command prompt:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

Last edited:
AVG, Avast, Avira

Those are all free. Along with that use this to remove Norton:

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

Without it removal of their products is almost impossible. I would also suggest you try a Restore Point. But this time install the updates one by one. While this is a time consuming method, you will be able to pin point the exact update that is giving you the issues and then from there research the Knowledge Base Article to see if this was a known issue or how to correct it.

Back