EasyBC 2.0.0.79 Works but not with Hide N Seek

frustrated999

Distinguished Member
I use to have Windows 7, XP and Ubuntu installed on separate hard drives. I got a larger hard drive and moved the Win 7 Ultimate partition followed by the XP partition on to the new hard drive. For now Ubuntu hard drive is disconnected. Using EasyBCD 2.0.079 I am able to boot between Windows7 and XP, however the Windows7 partition is showing up as my D: drive causing applications that I have installed on the real D: partition in XP not to work.

I have installed Hide N' Seek, removed XP entry in EasyBCD and in Hide N' Seek indicated the Win7 partition as Vista and XP one as XP. I can boot into Win7 but when I try to boot XP I get the error
ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt

Is there any way of using Hide N' Seek to hide the Win7 when I am in XP and be able to boot XP?

Last edited:
Are you saying that XP used to think of itself as D:\ and now you've cloned it to a new place it thinks of itself as a different letter ?
If so, this is not a problem to be solved by fiddling with the boot. You've got to fix the OS so it resumes using the letter it was when you installed it, before you moved it.
Have a read of this

Are you saying that XP used to think of itself as D:\ and now you've cloned it to a new place it thinks of itself as a different letter ?
If so, this is not a problem to be solved by fiddling with the boot. You've got to fix the OS so it resumes using the letter it was when you installed it, before you moved it.
Have a read of this

Sorry no when Windows was on its separate hard drive, XP was C: drive and the D: partition was a logical partion in which I installed my XP applications. Now with moving the O/S s to one hard drive Windows7 boot partion is D: and the previous D: is now E: causing those installed programs not to work.

In that case, just change them in Disk Managment back the way you want them.
Windows sets letters dynamically at boot depending on the detection sequence.
If you move things, the sequence (and the letters) change, but they're only registry entries.
It's good practice with a new OS to set all device letters yourself in DM.
Once you do that, they won't change if the detection sequence does.
The UID of the device or partition is permanently linked in the registry entry.

Last edited:
In that case, just change them in Disk Managment back the way you want them.
Windows sets letters dynamically at boot depending on the detection sequence.
If you move things, the sequence (and the letters) change, but they're only registry entries.
It's good practice with a new OS to set all device letters yourself in DM.
Once you do that, they won't change if the detection sequence does.
The UID of the device or partition is permanently linked in the registry entry.

Disk Management will not allow me to change the Drive letter (D:smile: of the WIndows7 partition when I am in Windows XP. It tells me that I can not change the drive letter for a bootable partition.

Terry, I think he needs that magic TechNet link you have that forces a change of the boot drive letter?

I can never find it myself!

Yes, after I logged off (while I was brushing my teeth, if you wan't the full detail), I thought "B*gger! his W7 is probably "system" - He'll need to force it in the registry")
You'll need to do it like this.
Don't slavishly follow the instructions though. It's not XP you want to change. Use the same technique to change E to D and D to whatever XP used to call W7.
Then use this hack to stop XP from seeing W7 (to protect its restore points)

lol... And I think there was another thread today with a similar issue, but I'm not sure?

RE brushing teeth: it's soooooo hard to not make a mess of yourself if you have a beard :frowning:

:tongueout:

CG. I use a splendid Vista/W7 Gadget "Clipboard Manager", which keeps up to 1000 cut/copy entries (including pictures) across boots, and has a "favourites" function where you can label your 100 most used.
That's how I can always find these useful links.

Attachments

• clipmgr.JPG
    clipmgr.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 11
Interesting! Do you have a link?

I cannot code without ClipX which is a no-frills clipboard manager.
You just hit ctrl+shift+v and a pop-up menu (just like the plain right-click context menu) comes up with the list of your last copies (persistent across boots as well).

I *just* checked and it seems that it supports "sticky entries" that I should be able to put good use like what you've done.

ClipX

Ok so both the KB223188 and the Vistaforums mods are done afterI have booted into XP. The result will be to hide D: which in my case is Windows7 and fix the restore point deletion. This means that I only have to use EasyBCD in Windows7 and I can uninstall Hide N' Seek.

If that "offline" registry hack works for you (you cant open folders or files on W7 from XP Explorer), then you don't need HnS. It's for people like me, with a configuration that didn't respond to the registry hack.

I've been increasingly creating custom bit.ly or j.mp links that I can easily remember.

Off the top of my head, j.mp/EBCD2 which is for the EasyBCD thread and j.mp/MiniDumpTool which is for the core dump creator.

Much easier to memorize than real links, and short enough to type out without copy-and-pasting or needing to bookmark.

Well the technet article allowed me in XP to rename the Win7 partition from D: to W: which in turn allowed me to use Disk Management to rename E: partition to D: . However the 2nd article's instructions via the registry edits in XP did not hide Win7 partition (W: in XP).

Hey Terry, could the fact that you both used the technet article to change your drive letter have something to do with the fact that the hide a partition registry hack doesn't work?

Hey Terry, could the fact that you both used the technet article to change your drive letter have something to do with the fact that the hide a partition registry hack doesn't work?

Well the example that they gave in the article re hiding the drive was referring to D: but in may case it was W:

Last edited:
Where are your W7 apps installed ? and your XP apps ?
Are they both with their respective OSs ? If not you will need to offline the W7 apps partition too.
In each OS, you must turn off system restore on every drive except the OS and where its apps are (if different).
It follows that apps cannot be on a shared partition, though the data they use can be.
You should end up, on both systems, with system restore only enabled on one (or 2) drives, and those drives should be different on each system.
There should not be any drive which has system restore enabled from both OSs. If one restore folder can be seen by both systems, it will be corrupted by XP, and Win7 will have a broken chain to which its only response is "start again".
Check the above, set a W7 RP, boot XP, check that explorer can't open W7 files or see its apps, boot W7 again and check that the RP is still OK.
If it's gone, join the club, get HnS.

CG. I don't see why using both hacks should cause a problem, but then again, there must be some reason why some of us get no joy.

Last edited:
Back