Merge BCD stores??

I have a system that has 3 SATA drives and 3 SCSI drives.

I have a Vista installation with an option to launch a legacy Windows Media center installation. This is launched from SCSI 0, and the Vista installation actually runs from SATA 0.

I installed a new SCSI drive, and installed Windows 7 Professional on it. When W7 built it's BCD store, it wrote the \BOOT folder to the SATA drive 0, instead of writing it to SCSI 0.

That said, my Vista installation / BCD store doesn't know anything about my W7 installation.

Here's the question...can EASYBCD 2.x merge the two BCD stores? How can I take what is loaded in the W7 BCD store (SATA 0) and ADD it to the BCD store for Vista on SCSI 0?

Does the autoconfig function from BCD look across ALL drives, searching for the \BOOT folder(s)?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Auto-configure is for legacy NTLDR boots.
Just add a new W7 entry to the Vista BCD (add/remove). Specify the drive letter that Vista sees W7 as, not what W7 calls itself.

Been there, done that!

Yes...that's where I started!

When I try to launch W7, I get this error:

Other thoughts?

Attachments

• 100_0532.JPG
    100_0532.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 4
That's a well known Vista- W7 compatibility problem which was previously worked around by adding Vista to the W7 BCD rather than W7 to Vista's.
Fortunately EasyBCD 2.0 can fix Vista for you as described by CG.
If you'd said what your real problem was in the OP, I could have told you that last night.

Resolved....

Terry60/Computer Guru;

Well..I've resolved the issue. But to be honest...none of the diagnostics within EasyBCD moved me closer to a solution.

RE: "That's a well known Vista- W7 compatibility problem which was previously worked around by adding Vista to the W7 BCD rather than W7 to Vista's"... that turned out to be the ONLY usable nugget of info.

From Windows 7 repair, I created a new boot record on SCSI 0, and that made Windows 7 bootable (and remove the "signature" issue)...but Vista was still broken. From within Windows 7, I then used EasyBCD to create an entry for Vista....and all is well.

If you are interested, send me a PM, and I'll send info on the issues/failures with EasyBCD 2.x....what it did well, and where it "fell short"...

Back