32 Bit Vista Repair Boot Disk Not Working

JohnPolka

Recently on my wifes Acer Aspire 5515 we have a corrupt windows software file which is keeping the OS from loading... So all I had previously were the full recovery/reinstall disks I had to make when we got the computer home from wally world...Using these doesn't even allow a partial recovery like on my Gateway systems... So upon some googling I found your guy's beautiful site and beautiful iso links to Vista repair disks... In my ignorance I didn't know the difference between the 64bit and 32 bit systems so I made a copy of both... The first time I resolved this issue by simply booting up with the 64bit disk... even though no repair was actually made... now the issue has arrised again and I'm not even getting the blue screen with the error details... So I boot up the 32bit repair disk and the laptop recognizes it and gives me the boot from CD hit a button, then the black/white windows loading date screen with the solid white progression bar... it finishes..., then I get the standard windows OS loading screen with the Windows in the small text and the little bumble bee striped bar moving fastly across the progression bar screen... from here it just sits... initially you can here the disk drive reading/loading but after a few seconds it just quits and the computer will sit here until I turn it off.... I'm using img burn and am pretty sure I'm making the boot disk correctly... in fact my 64bit disk loads its interface just fine... but the 32 bit doesn't seem to do anything? If I can't get this to work... I'm gonna look into the boot disk where I can load it and copy docs and pics and such from my hard drive to a USB or so and save my data and do a full recovery... but I really would like some help getting this disk straightened out.... Your guys help is much much appreciated
THANKS
John

They shouldn't both work. One should say "not compatible with this OS" or words to that effect.
Unfortunately, whichever is appropriate to your OS (Control Panel > System should tell you what you have), they are both prone to the same (MS) design flaw. If HDD errors are preventing the OS from booting, they can also prevent the CD from booting too (It checks the HDD as it boots).
You can however use an OS which doesn't check the state of Windows first, and salvage your personal data like this, before you "factory reset" the PC

The 64 bit version didn't work... but it loaded the interface and upon trying to run the repair it did give me the not compatible message... but for some reason the first time I had this issue... just booting into the interface of the 64 bit version, getting the not compatible message and resetting the computer let windows load again... maybe had nothing to do with the repair disk at all... like you said... just funny that the 64 bit version will boot into its interface and the 32 bit won't... Though thanks very much for your time and your reply and thanks much for the link to ubuntu... that was going to be my next plan of action... I just didn't know which boot data recovery to use.. but I'll definately take your advice on this one... I'm downloading the iso as I type =) Thanks again!

They shouldn't both work. One should say "not compatible with this OS" or words to that effect.
Unfortunately, whichever is appropriate to your OS (Control Panel > System should tell you what you have), they are both prone to the same (MS) design flaw. If HDD errors are preventing the OS from booting, they can also prevent the CD from booting too (It checks the HDD as it boots).
You can however use an OS which doesn't check the state of Windows first, and salvage your personal data like this, before you "factory reset" the PC

how would you fix the "If HDD errors are preventing the OS from booting, they can also prevent the CD from booting too (It checks the HDD as it boots)." problem?

how would you fix the "If HDD errors are preventing the OS from booting, they can also prevent the CD from booting too (It checks the HDD as it boots)." problem?

This:

And if for some reason factory restore doesn't work and you've got an install disc you can furthermore use Ubuntu to wipe out all the partitions with Gparted. When thats done you should be able to boot from your Windows disc to re-install without issue.

Back