Need Help - Vista Home 32bit + Vista Ultimate 64bit

Barbieo

I've been trying all the suggestions I could find that seemed like it applied to the problems I have, but I just don't seem to be able to get it to work. I hope someone here can help me figure it out.

I started out with Vista Home Premium 32bit installed on the C drive. Then, I used Paragon software (because I had it already installed), with the help of the Paragon Engingeers, to install Vista Ultimate 64bit on the D drive which appeared to work fine.

A short time later I wanted to change the way the initial boot up diaglog verbage was showing up and wanted to add Windows 7, XP and Ubuntu, but when I read about how easy it was to use EasyBCD, I decided to use it instead of the Paragon software. I downloaded EasyBCD 1.7.2, iReboot, and UBCDWin thinking it would help me to accomplish my goals.

Now, I can only boot into Vista Ultimate64bit and when I try to boot up with Vista Home 32bit, it hangs at the progress bar or if I try to boot using safe mode, it stops at crcdisk.sys.

I've worked through the steps outlined in the "Recovering the Vista Bootloader with EasyBCD" but am still unable to boot into Vista Home. I also changed the drive assignments because if what I describe below:

It looks like my hard drive letters have all changed because it looks like the Vista Home is on D drive while the Vista Ultimate is on C drive. Plus, before I started this, I had drive C with 300GB partitioned with drive D 100GB, (Vista Home originally on C drive, then Vista Ultimate 64bit on D drive).

I also have an internal 2TB hard drive with 8 partitions and an external 2TB hard drive with similar partitions which now show up as removeable storage however, the partitions with the drive letter assignments are still there. I also have another separate external 500GB hard drive but it has not changed at all.

Below is the Detailed Display Mode Information:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=D:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
resumeobject {641fa65c-8563-11df-acac-806e6f6e6963}
displayorder {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
{931d91b5-5fb6-11df-8e10-f958d10eaf8f}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 10
resume No
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
device partition=D:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=D:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {e8709fb7-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
nx OptOut
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {931d91b5-5fb6-11df-8e10-f958d10eaf8f}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate (recovered)
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {641fa65c-8563-11df-acac-806e6f6e6963}

Yesterday, I cut my finger so it's really hard to type. Even so, if there is more information I can provide that will help, I will do my best. I'm new to this and apologize for the inconvenience. I thought I would be able to figure it out myself, but soon learned how hard it was for me. I hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks ahead if time! :lup:

Barbara

Hi Mahoud,

Thank you for responding, and I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I was able to boot into Ultimate and run the chkdsk d: /f command as you directed. However, when I checked EasyBCD I again saw that Vista 32 was assigned to c: and Ultimate also assigned to c: drive. I changed Vista 32 to c: drive which is where it should be, then I rebooted.

When the screen came up for me to select which operating system I wanted to start up, I selected Vista but it booted into Ultimate, not Vista.

What more can you suggest I do?

Again, thank you. (a new roof is being out on my house which I hope will be done soon so I can respond more quickly...thank you for your patience with me)

Barbara

If you changed the 2nd BCD entry to C: then both entries point to the same Vista, which is why you get the same one every time.
There are no letters in the BCD, just UIDs.
EasyBCD translates the UIDs into letters as seen from the system it's running on.
Partition letters are not real, just registry entries in the running system.
Each system can only use each letter once.
If each system sees itself as C, then the other non-booted system must have a different letter.
Put the 2nd OS (for the non-running system) back in the BCD to the same letter that the Running system sees that partition as in Disk Management.

Hi Terry,

OK -- I'm still not sure I understand what you just said, but I changed the Ultimate so it points to d: drive which is opposite of the Vista 32. Now, I have it backwards which just means that when I boot into Ultimate I have clicked or chosen Vista on the screen that gives me the option what OS to boot in to.

That also means that when I choose Ultimate in the screen that gives me the OS boot option it boots in to Vista.

However, before booting into Vista I get the screen that gives me the option to choose booting into safe mode. It doesn't matter what safe mode or even if I boot up as Normal, it freezes while the progress bar is on the bottom of the screen, or it stops at a file name "crcdisk.sys".

I hope you can help.

Thanks,

Barbara

Vista 32 & Ultimate with Disk Mgmt image

Hi Terry,

I updated BCD to 2.0 -- it looks like there's a lot more functionality and more intuitive...great job!

I've attached images of the disk management and BCD detail. One image is the summary and the other is the detailed list. Drive C: has the Vista 32 installed, but I've mis-assigned it in BCD as Ultimate (see my previous note) and Drive D: has Ultimate and is mis-assigned in BCD as Vista. I haven't changed it because I thought I'd wait to see what you want me to do to get Vista 32 to boot like it should. (I'm using Ultimate now which boots up fine).

I hope that makes sense.:scared:

Thanks again,

Barbara

Attachments

• diskmgt summary.JPG
    diskmgt summary.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 5
  • diskmgt detail.JPG
    diskmgt detail.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 3
  • detail.JPG
    detail.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 4
OK, start by flipping the names in the edit menu page so that the C: selection says Ultimate and D: says Home, and then try chkdsk /r against the D: partition.
Run it till it says there are no errors to fix.

Hi Terry,

OK...I flipped the names and changed them exactly as you said. Then, I ran the chkdsk numerous times (even though it said there wasn't any errors) throughout the day yesterday. Then, I rebooted the machine into the "Home" O/S (previous Vista), but it did the same thing as before...it froze at bootup during the progress bar status on the bottom of the screen.

What do you think we should try next?

Thanks again,

Barbara

See if removing one stick gets you past the problem.
You should be able to put it back if the OS boots successfully. (32 bit OSs have a theoretical 4Gb addressing capability, but in practice reserved addresses use some of that and the real limit is 3.x Gb. Surplus RAM has been known to hang the boot.)
Before messing around inside the case, make sure that all USB devices are disconnected before you boot. That's another potential cause.

Hi Terry,

OK, here's the latest update...before I started unplugging USB connections and RAM, I did a google search on Vista freezes on crcdisk.sys file and found a ton of hits. (I learned that the crcdisk.sys is a disk block verification filter driver and CRC stands for Cyclic Redundancy Check). Anyway, it looks like a lot of people have had this problem for various reasons, however after reading through some of the forums and all, I read one solution which was to rename (or delete) driver files:

windows\system32\drivers\pcmcia.sys*
windows\system32\drivers\1394bus.sys*
windows\system32\drivers\sdbus.inf*
windows\system32\driversstore\filerespository\pcmcia.inf*
windows\system32\driversstore\filerespository\1394.inf.*
windows\system32\driversstore\filerespository\sdbus.inf*
windows\system32\inf\sdbus.inf*
windows\system32\inf\sdbus.PNF*

I was only able to rename the first file pcmcia.sys but when I tried to rename the others, I got a message saying I didn't have permissions to change the other files.

Then, I opened the cmd window and ran chkdsk /f/r/x c: and it said it couldn't run it but would run when the system was rebooted.

When I rebooted into the Home OS, (the one we were having the problems with), it went through the chkdsk. Afterward, it gave me the options to boot into safe mode, which I did. It stopped on the crcdisk.sys file again like it did before, but this time, I had someone come to the door and left it alone. When I went back to the office, the computer loaded up into the Home OS in safe mode!

Then, I re-ran the chkdsk command again and rebooted. This time, I booted into the Home OS normally, (not in safe mode), and it seemed like it took forever, but finally after a long time, it booted into the Home (Vista 32). It has been doing a lot of software updates since then. After updating EasyBCD to 2.0, I changed the boot options so that Home was the default.

I will finish the updates and restart the machine to see if it continues to boot up like it should. When I have completed all this, I'll post here to let you know how it goes.

Oh, and one more thing, in one of the forums, a technician said not to setup a dual boot on the same drive in Vista 32 SP1. Apparently, a lot of folks think the problem is coming from the SP1. However I think I have mine at SP2. Anyway, it's all way too far over my head. I'm just glad to be making some progress.

Barbara

Congratulations, Barbara!! :smile:

Persistence truly is the key. And you seem to have learned a ton about Windows internals in the process.

Hi Terry,

Thank you!

I thought I'd give you an update. I am still able to boot up, but it still takes a very long time for it to completely boot up. Once up, it seems everything is working just fine. Is there something I need to do to shorten the time it takes to boot? (average boot time is 10 to 15 minutes!)

Once I know I have my desktop machine working correctly, I want to begin setting up Windows 7 on it. Shall I install Windows 7 on a completely different drive?

Thanks again and I appreciate your confidence in my learning.

Barbara

Check your system for unnecessary tasks which start themselves every boot whether or not you need them or ever use them.
Things like quicktime, adobe reader, java put routines in your startup folder or in the registry which start every time the machine boots and can slow down the boot process considerably.
There are auto-update checkers, and pre-loaded routines put there "to speed up access to the relevant software" which in actual fact slow your entire system down in order to make the proprietory software look good if you ever start it once in a blue moon.
Junk the lot, and make sure that nothing 3rd party starts at boot time unless you put it there (like your AV and firewall)
search the net for sites like these which will help you identify and eliminate the junk.
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
http://techpaul.wordpress.com/2008/01/11/manage-startup-programs-in-vista/

Back