EasyBCD keeps telling me it can't detect the letter of the boot device

Nazgulled

Hi,
Recently, my laptop just flipped... I don't know what happened but this is all messy. I have Vista installed in the firs partition and XP on the second, Vista installed first, XP after.

Now, I can boot into Vista and this is my current BCD:
Code:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device                  unknown
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default                 {27141816-2c88-11dc-aab4-d614cd73d32b}
displayorder            {27141816-2c88-11dc-aab4-d614cd73d32b}
toolsdisplayorder       {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout                 5

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {27141816-2c88-11dc-aab4-d614cd73d32b}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows Vista Ultimate
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {da64ae84-2c8e-11dc-ae20-806e6f6e6963}
I can boot fine but every time I run EasyBCD I get the following screen:
easybcd.jpg

I don't know what to do to fix this... I already did everything that the above dialog tells me to do but I keep getting that information dialog. This never happened to me. Although everything is working fine, that dialog popping up every time gives me some discomfort that something is wrong and I would really love to fix this issue.

I already tried to boot into Vista Recovery Environment and at the command prompt I tried:
Code:
bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /RebuilBcd
But it didn't work and I always keep getting the above EasyBCD information dialog.

Another thing I might add, is that my XP drive ( D: )is screwed... I mean, it says it's in RAW format and I'm in the process of trying to recover the important data then format the whole partition and restore XP Image I had done with Acronis True Image. Just so you need to know...

What's wrong with my system, and how can I fix it?

Hey Nazgulled, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

You have indeed been struck by the Nazgûl - your MBR is fried!

Here's what you need to do:
Dowload the lastest beta of EasyBCD 1.61 (see the stickied thread in this forum), and install & run it.

EasyBCD | Bootloader Management | Reinstall Vista Bootloader (fixes the MBR)
EasyBCD | Diagnostics | Reset BCD Data (fixes the BCD)

After this, you will be back to a singe (working!) entry in your BCD for Windows Vista. Proceed to add Windows XP from the "Add/Remove Entries" page, and all should be well.

Best of luck!

I'll do that in a few minutes cause right now I'm recovering the data on my lost partition... Just a question, that 1.61 beta version is the only one with the actions you told me to do right?

No. EasyBCD 1.6 has those options too, but I made some minor changes in 1.61 BETA that may or may not make a difference in your case.

Thanks.. The old ones were kinda...... old :grinning:

Anyway, glad to hear it worked. IF you're still having trouble recovering your XP partition, go get yourself a copy of Acronis Disk Director 10, and use the "Partition Recovery" feature.

Hi Spades....

Are you Nazgulled from above? If so, congratulations - glad to hear it!

(If not, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies. Glad we were able to help with whatever problem it was you were facing.)

Ah, of course. You were referring to that issue then above? Well, glad to hear you got it to work :smile:

I'm experiencing the same problem... Cant detect letter of Boot Device

Hi
I seem to have the same problem, I tried what you suggested to fix the MBR using Easy BCD, but that then causes VISTA to not start up, and I get the following message..

\Windows\system32\winload.exe

Status 0xc000000e

..The Selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I then have to start the Computer using the Toshiba VIsta Recovery Disc, and repair the problem

Visat then boots up OK, IF I use EasyBCD, and make any changes the problem repeats as mentioned above, and I have to use the CD to fix..

I am wanting to setup dual boot with XP

Any ideas?

Ive tried following your instructions a few times and it always happens

Thanks in advance

Sounds to me like your MBR needs a repair.

EasyBCD | Bootloader Management | Reinstall Vista Bootloader
EasyBCD | Diagnostics | Reset BCD Data

Should do the trick :smile:

Back